Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Ernie Rael <er...@raelity.com> on 2020/07/06 22:55:38 UTC

php development

Hi all,

Perhaps I'm finally reaching the late 20th century...

I've gotten a web hosting package (starter kit). It has mysql and php;
php 5.6 by default, can select 7.0. (MySql seems to be 5.6, coincidence?)

Will someone(kindly or otherwise) point me to docs that show how to set
up NB-12 with a server to write/debug/test php/mysql stuff locally?

Is there any disadvantage to selecting php 7.0?

-ernie

Re: php development

Posted by Ernie Rael <er...@raelity.com>.
I lost track of this...
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-4679

-ernie

Re: php development

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
That is a bug!

Re: php development

Posted by Juan Algaba <ja...@colef.mx>.
> I don't know if this is intentional, or still in progress or ...
You're right, php.html has more info and more recent commits than php/index.html
https://github.com/apache/netbeans-website/blob/master/netbeans.apache.org/src/content/kb/docs/php.asciidoc
https://github.com/apache/netbeans-website/blob/master/netbeans.apache.org/src/content/kb/docs/php/index.asciidoc

But I don't know if it's a matter of changing the link on the main
page or merging php.html into php/index.html (after all,
php/index.html makes more sense since the java
tutorial is java/inddex.html)

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 6:56 PM Ernie Rael <er...@raelity.com> wrote:

> Perfect, many thanks. (and lots to go through)
>
> It's probably worth noting that the main page,
> https://netbeans.apache.org, has a pointer for PHP that goes to
> https://netbeans.apache.org/kb/docs/php/index.html where there is far
> less information. I don't know if this is intentional, or still in
> progress or ...
>
> -ernie
>
> On 7/8/2020 12:05 PM, antonio wrote:
> > I don't think we have NB-12 specific documents yet.
> >
> > Maybe you want to take a look to the NetBeans PHP Learning Trail here:
> >
> > https://netbeans.apache.org/kb/docs/php.html
> >
> > Of course, any enhancements to the documentation are welcome :-)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Antonio
> >
> > El 7/7/20 a las 0:55, Ernie Rael escribió:
> >> Will someone(kindly or otherwise) point me to docs that show how to
> >> set up NB-12 with a server to write/debug/test php/mysql stuff locally?

-Juan Algaba

Re: php development

Posted by Ernie Rael <er...@raelity.com>.

Re: php development

Posted by antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.

Re: php development

Posted by Juan Algaba <ja...@colef.mx>.
> Will someone(kindly or otherwise) point me to docs that show how to set
> up NB-12 with a server to write/debug/test php/mysql stuff locally?

Here you go: http://netbeans.apache.org/kb/docs/php/
You'll see PHP 5 mentioned a lot, but just ignore that and use 7.x
(where x is the newest your host provides), the instructions haven't
changed significantly.

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 8:03 PM Alan <ne...@ambitonline.com> wrote:

> That's a question with a pretty broad scope. There isn't much that's Netbeans specific. My preferred approach is to set up a local development environment with Apache and MySQL, but there's a single-threaded web server built into PHP as well. Getting the xdebug set up seems to cause the most trouble, but there are lots of resources for that.
>
> After that it's really just a matter of telling Netbeans where your php.exe is and which version to do syntax checking for.
>
> If you are debugging on your host, they probably won't have xdebug available and you're stuck with debugging with echo and print_r();.
>
> Beyond the basics, the built-in composer interface is a little clunky and runs in non-interactive mode. For this reason I personally prefer to use composer from the command line.
>
> Hope that helps...
>
> On 2020-07-06 21:20, Ernie Rael wrote:
>
> On 7/6/2020 4:47 PM, Alan wrote:
>

> 5.6 and 7.0 are ancient, unsupported.You should be running 7.3 at least, and 7.4 offers more great features and performance.
>
> Thanks for the info, but I've got 6 months. I was in a rush, my bad for not doing up front research. I will certainly keep your words in mind and plan on changing hosts. Fortunately my needs are simple for the foreseeable future. Now that I look at current versions, I'm embarrassed that I got taken so badly. But that's orthogonal to what I need now. (But any tips on how to find a good host appreciated)
>
> Still, my main concern now is setting up NetBeans for php/mysql dev. I'm hoping to get some links to best practice with NB docs so I won't start digging in the wrong spot.
>
> -ernie
>
> If your starter kit package doesn't offer a current PHP, you have a crap host. Likely there will be many other problems. I strongly suggest finding a better one. [my day job is web hosting, I have seen many horror stories from cheap hosts].
>
> On 2020-07-06 18:55, Ernie Rael wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Perhaps I'm finally reaching the late 20th century...
>
> I've gotten a web hosting package (starter kit). It has mysql and php; php 5.6 by default, can select 7.0. (MySql seems to be 5.6, coincidence?)
>
> Will someone(kindly or otherwise) point me to docs that show how to set up NB-12 with a server to write/debug/test php/mysql stuff locally?
>
> Is there any disadvantage to selecting php 7.0?
>
> -ernie

- Juan Algaba

Re: php development

Re: php development