Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ross Anderson <Ro...@cl.cam.ac.uk> on 1995/10/19 12:54:35 UTC

Re: Fwd: could you respond to this question on UK export restrictions ? Ta

The situation is complicated, and I wrote some stuff on it in
ftp.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/rja14/queensland.ps.Z.

My understanding is that you can export anything that's in the
public domain. So putting crypto code for ftp is OK. However if
you sell the code for money you might have to get a licence
(GCHQ would say that you do, but the Export Control of Goods
Order, which dates back to WW2 and is used for this, has been
heavily criticised in court)

Ross

--
sameer						Voice:   510-601-9777
Community ConneXion				FAX:	 510-601-9734