Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by chris snow <ch...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/06 09:54:04 UTC

mvn install has a dependency on tests: "-Dmaven.test.skip=true" breaks the build

I have been adding the flag "-Dmaven.test.skip=true" to my builds:

   mvn clean install -P developer,systemvm -Dmaven.test.skip=true

However, I was getting the error:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal on project cloud-framework-cluster:
Could not resolve dependencies for project
org.apache.cloudstack:cloud-framework-cluster:jar:4.4.0-SNAPSHOT:
Could not find artifact
org.apache.cloudstack:cloud-api:jar:tests:4.4.0-SNAPSHOT in
sonatype-snapshots
(https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/snapshots/) -> [Help 1]

I was surprised that "mvn clean install -P developer,systemvm" has a
dependency on tests being run.  It looks as if this commit [1] added
the dependency on tests from the maven install goal.

I guess either the dependency needs to be removed, or the docs need to
be updated to state that the maven.test.skip flag must not be set to
true [2]?

---
[1] https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/commit/f5e5b39c9bc8d0e719dbb27cb8228b868c6f726f
[2] https://github.com/apache/cloudstack-docs/blob/master/rtd/source/developer_guide.rst#installing-from-source

Re: mvn install has a dependency on tests: "-Dmaven.test.skip=true" breaks the build

Posted by chris snow <ch...@gmail.com>.
-DskipTests may work around the problem by compiling the tests but not
running them.  However, there is still a dependency on test artifacts
being by mvn install.  IMHO, the dependency should be removed or
clearly documented because it deviates from the normal maven usage
patterns?

http://lnkd.in/cw5k69

Re: mvn install has a dependency on tests: "-Dmaven.test.skip=true" breaks the build

Posted by Wei ZHOU <us...@gmail.com>.