Posted to dev@pivot.apache.org by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/03 14:33:22 UTC

Voting for a release

I am glad everybody is on board for the release and voting happily.
There is one caveat: you are voting on behalf of the Apache Software
Foundation. Unless you actually looked at the release, confirmed
everything is ok, the tests run, the build is repeatable, you should
not vote +1. As a proposed Committer and PMC member  you are expected
to perform due diligence.

A +1 vote carries a lot of weight. When I see +1's immediately
following a vote request on a release, I don't see due diligence, but
an anxious community to get a release out.

Martijn

Re: Voting for a release

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.
I was just thinking about this, and I'm glad you brought this up
Martijn.  I second what Martijn's saying.  I really did perform the
smoke tests that I said in the email, and I kindly ask that each of
you do the same.  Unpack the archives, inspect the contents, see if
they build corectly, run apps against the binaries, etc.

-T

Re: Voting for a release

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.
We technically only need three +1 votes before putting this to the
general@ list, but I'd like to see +1 votes from both our mentors
before putting the vote to the incubator, because any reasons the
mentors have for not wanting to release are assumed to be showstoppers
for the larger incubator audience :)

See http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Releases
for more details.

-T

Re: Voting for a release

Re: Voting for a release

Posted by Todd Volkert <tv...@gmail.com>.
Sorry - had to take my kid to school.  My smoke test included the following:

* Unpack all archives (zip and tar.gz, source and binaries) into
distinct folders.
* Verified the md5 and sha1 checksums of all archives
* Verified the pgp signatures of all archives
* Inspected the Javadoc included in the binary release
* Built and ran a suite of proprietary Pivot apps against the binary
JAR files from the command line (DesktopApplicationContext)
* Built the "build", "doc", "dist", and "install" targets from within
the source distribution and verified that the output was correct (by
inspection).
* Looked at the .txt RAT report to make sure that the remaining files
without a license header were acceptable.
* Made sure that my most recent changes are in the new artifacts.

Note that I did not check any applets because I'm running 64 bit
Linux, for which there's no Sun Java plugin yet (and the IcedTea
plug-in isn't up pto snuff yet).

Note also that I built these artifacts from a local checkout of the
1.1 branch (tag).

-T

Re: Voting for a release

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.