Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by rb...@covalent.net on 2001/02/05 23:51:36 UTC

Where to install httpd?

Henri has pointed out to me that Apache 1.3 installs httpd in /usr/sbin on
RedHat, and apxs and apachectl use $prefix/bin for Apache 2.0.  The 2.0
Makefile does install into $bindir, so at the very least, I would expect
that we want to modify apxs and apachectl to use $bindir.  Should I change
everything to $sbindir?

Ryan

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

Re: Where to install httpd?

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 02:51:36PM -0800, rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> Henri has pointed out to me that Apache 1.3 installs httpd in /usr/sbin on
> RedHat, and apxs and apachectl use $prefix/bin for Apache 2.0.  The 2.0
> Makefile does install into $bindir, so at the very least, I would expect
> that we want to modify apxs and apachectl to use $bindir.  Should I change
> everything to $sbindir?

Feel free to change it within a particular Layout. But the classic Apache
layout puts everything into $prefix/bin. For example, I always install into
/usr/local/apache, and I expect the programs to be in /usr/local/apache/bin.

If RedHat chooses to place there items elsewhere, then they can. That is why
we have a RedHat Layout in httpd-2.0/config.layout.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: Where to install httpd?

Posted by Wilfredo Sánchez <ws...@MIT.EDU>.
On Monday, February 5, 2001, at 02:51  PM, rbb@covalent.net wrote:

> Henri has pointed out to me that Apache 1.3 installs httpd in /usr/sbin
> on
> RedHat, and apxs and apachectl use $prefix/bin for Apache 2.0.  The 2.0
> Makefile does install into $bindir, so at the very least, I would expect
> that we want to modify apxs and apachectl to use $bindir.  Should I
> change
> everything to $sbindir?

   By BSD convention (and I assume on Linux it's not too far off), sbin
means binaries that are in a non-root user's path because they generally
don't (sometimes can't) use them as non-root.  httpd falls roughly into
that camp, but apxs, like other developer tools, should be in $bindir,
not $sbindir (which isn't the case in 1.3, but I think it should be).
apachectl should live in $sbindir with httpd, unless we expect that user
will use apachectl and not invoke httpd directly, in which case httpd
arguably belongs in $libexecdir, though we seem to have hijacked that
location for modules.

	-Fred