Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> on 2016/02/01 18:27:29 UTC

Possible difference between RPM and DEB OO instaals

A thread on en-Forum suggests that there may be a difference, perhaps  even a bug, between the RPM and DEB linux installs.

In /Tools /Options /OpenOffice : General, there is an option to switch between OO file dialogues and O.S. file dialogues.

In this thread
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=81618
the OP posts a screenshot to show he has not that option running on CentOS 7.1.  acknak, a Forum Administrator, has the option running on Fedora 23, but indicates that it doesn't work.   Both of these are RPM installs.

It does work for me running on Xubuntu 15.10 (DEB file install)

Can list members with appropriate machines confirm this difference before we post it to Bugzilla?

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Possible difference between RPM and DEB OO instaals

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Tue, 2 Feb 2016 14:23:27 -0800
Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 5:13 AM, Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 02 Feb 2016 06:08:12 -0500
> > Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org> wrote:

> > even a bug, between the RPM and DEB linux installs.

> > between OO file dialogues and O.S. file dialogues.

> > CentOS 7.1.  acknak, a Forum Administrator, has the option running on
> > Fedora 23, but indicates that it doesn't work.   Both of these are RPM
> > installs.

> > before we post it to Bugzilla?
> > > >
> > > RPM install on Fedora 20 w/Gnome 3 works.
> > >
> > > Carl
> > >
> > > Thanks. I'll pass that on.  We may need to consider a fix - either force
> > a minimal Gnome download or extend the OO interface to other environments.
> >
> > --
> > Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>
> >

> ​I'm on CentOS 6.7 with gnome 2. Either the default dialogs or unchecking
> and using the gnome2 version for Save As... works correctly for me.
>
> ALL Linux users should install the freedesktop menus since gnome and kde
> both use this interface. This is covered in our installation instructions:
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/common/instructions.html
>
> Other desktop interfaces may not work correctly with this, however.
>

> ​

> MzK
>
> "Though no one can go back and make a brand new start,
>  anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending."
>                                                           -- Carl Bard

Thank you, Kay.  I have passed your advice on to the thread in question.  I must admit I had not read that installation note - years ago I found an install method that worked for me, which I can do in my sleep, and never needed to look beyond it.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

Posted by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Mon, 01 Feb 2016 19:37:24 +0100
Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> > A thread on en-Forum suggests that there may be a difference, perhaps  even a bug, between the RPM and DEB linux installs.
>
> We don't have different packaging in this respect, I think. Anyway in
> 4.1.2 RPM I can successfully switch between OpenOffice dialogues and
> system (GNOME 3) dialogues.
>
> > Can list members with appropriate machines confirm this difference before we post it to Bugzilla?
>
> I guess this may be an environment issue. I would definitely like to
> know more on this, but this is not a packaging issue.
>
> Regards,
>    Andrea.

Thanks, Andrea.

I'll pass that on.  acknak can be relied upon to supply any required information.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.