Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Vinod Panicker <vi...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/01 06:07:12 UTC

Re: encryption

On 8/31/06, Aleksandar <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I though about compression filter, but the server must be available
> from different platforms including PDA and other widgets and I do not
> know is it reasonable.
>
> I mostly transfer data in following format:
> short
> int
> float
> float
> Size is 2 + 4 + 4 + 4 = 14 bytes.
> Thouse bytes must be encrypted with cipher that is available on
> different platforms and probably in different languages.

First of all, I'd like you to seriously consider the implications of
using a block cipher between hosts that are previously unknown to each
other. The key-exchange issues are not trivial, and nor are the
security implications.

If you want bullet-proof security, then SSL is the way to go.

If you just want obfuscation, then the compression filter might do the
trick for you. Its based on zlib, for which implementations are
available on all platforms.  Languages are not an issue with either,
since the work is being done on byte streams.

Regards,
Vinod.