Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Ross L. Wayland" <rl...@virginia.edu> on 2001/12/03 18:03:43 UTC

hiding redirects

Hi,

I have a servlet that functions as a frontend to a digital object
repository. Requests to the servlet are in the form of encoded URLs that
pass the necessary repository query arguments as parameters. Once the
query has been resolved by the servlet, the URL obtained from the
repository is then redirected back to the browser  using sendRedirect().
This all works nicely, but I would like for the URL that gets displayed
in the browser Location Window to be that of the initial URL request and
not the redirected URL obtained from the repository. i.e.,  I would like
to "hide" the redirected URL so the URL that gets displayed/bookmarked
is the initial URL request.

Does anyone know if something like this is possible and if so, how it
might be accomplished? Can this be accomplished soley within the servlet
API or will it require writing a special module for apache to handle
this type of redirect.

I'm running tomcat 3.2.3 w/ mod_jk and  apache 1.3.22 .

Thanks in advance for any pointers you may have...

Ross

Ross Wayland
Email: rlw@virginia.edu                  University of Virginia
Phone: 434-924-0746                    Alderman Library - Systems Office
FAX:   434-924-1431                    Charlottesville, VA 22903-2498