Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by David Summers <da...@summersoft.fay.ar.us> on 2005/03/28 06:18:43 UTC

Redhat Linux RPMs

Hello Subversionistas,

Over the last year or so I've played with a bunch of different ways to
maintain Subversion RPMs on several different versions of Redhat.

My current server is Redhat Enterprise Linux 3 (actually WhiteBox
Enterprise Linux 3).

I finally got tired of trying to figure out how to update all dependencies
of every package involved with building Subversion including BDB, APACHE,
PHP, Documentation, sub-dependencies, etc., with packages that are
"updated" from what the original distribution came with.

For RHEL3/WBEL3, today I finally caved and made (some suprisingly simple!)
changes in my working copy and built trunk and the up-coming 1.1.4 and all
tests seem to work (I was worried about BDB 4.1.25 but if the tests are to
be believed, it passed, maybe RedHat fixed the issues with it? I've not
kept up with Redhat's changes to BDB 4.1.25 but have heard of a lot of
problems with BDB 4.1.X in the past on these mailing lists).

My quandry and question to the group is: Would you be OK with an updated
RPM that made it easier to install Subversion on RedHat 7.3, 8.0, 9.0,
RHEL3/WBEL3 if, in upgrading to the new RPM, you had to do a dump/load
cycle (only if you are using the Berkeley BDB backend) ?

For instance, on RHEL3/WBEL3, I've previously been trying to maintain a
db42-4.2.52 RPM but never liked the problems and options I had for
installing it, there were always conflicts with existing packages at some
level of sub-level of dependencies.

I finally built with the currently distributed packages and am testing
things out and don't see any other issues other than having to do the
dump/load on my production server BDB repositories.

How about the same thing on Redhat 7.3, 8.0, 9.0 (as much as it applies to
them) ?

What about just ditching Berkeley BDB entirely and going with FSFS
backend?

Thoughts?

--
David Wayne Summers          "Linux: Because reboots are for hardware upgrades!"
david@summersoft.fay.ar.us   PGP Key: http://summersoft.fay.ar.us/~david/pgp.txt

Re: Redhat Linux RPMs

Posted by David Ripton <dr...@ripton.net>.
On 2005.03.28 00:18:43 +0000, David Summers wrote:
> My quandry and question to the group is: Would you be OK with an updated
> RPM that made it easier to install Subversion on RedHat 7.3, 8.0, 9.0,
> RHEL3/WBEL3 if, in upgrading to the new RPM, you had to do a dump/load
> cycle (only if you are using the Berkeley BDB backend) ?

I use your RPMs on most of those RH versions, and I'd be OK with that.
I suggest really prominent warnings, though.

--
David Ripton    dripton@ripton.net

Re: Redhat Linux RPMs

Posted by Ma...@playstation.sony.com.
Er, nvm, didn't finish reading your response (still half asleep).

On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 09:52 -0800, Matthew_Rich@playstation.sony.com
wrote:
> > Yes, people have constant problems with BDB 4.1. None of these problems ever
> > showed up in subversion tests.
> >
> > I suggest an alternative change.
> >
> > Build just db42 and subversion.
> > Use the system everything-else.
>
> Unfortunately, once you link Subversion against a version of BDB, that
> pulls in everything-else.  So you will also need to rebuild Apache, APR,
> and anything else that links against the system BDB, which Subversion
> uses (or uses Subversion).  Unless you don't want DAV support.  I don't
> think there is any way around the APR  dependency?
>
> Matt

Matthew Rich <Ma...@playstation.sony.com>
Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc.

Re: Redhat Linux RPMs

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
David Summers wrote:
> Hello Subversionistas,
>
> Over the last year or so I've played with a bunch of different ways to
> maintain Subversion RPMs on several different versions of Redhat.
>
> My current server is Redhat Enterprise Linux 3 (actually WhiteBox
> Enterprise Linux 3).
>
> I finally got tired of trying to figure out how to update all dependencies
> of every package involved with building Subversion including BDB, APACHE,
> PHP, Documentation, sub-dependencies, etc., with packages that are
> "updated" from what the original distribution came with.
>
> For RHEL3/WBEL3, today I finally caved and made (some suprisingly simple!)
> changes in my working copy and built trunk and the up-coming 1.1.4 and all
> tests seem to work (I was worried about BDB 4.1.25 but if the tests are to
> be believed, it passed, maybe RedHat fixed the issues with it? I've not
> kept up with Redhat's changes to BDB 4.1.25 but have heard of a lot of
> problems with BDB 4.1.X in the past on these mailing lists).

Yes, people have constant problems with BDB 4.1. None of these problems ever
showed up in subversion tests.

I suggest an alternative change.

Build just db42 and subversion.
Use the system everything-else.

This would use bdb's --with-uniquename support to be independent of the
system BDB, and a small hack to subversion's buildsystem to allow linking to
a BDB which is independent of apr-util.

> For instance, on RHEL3/WBEL3, I've previously been trying to maintain a
> db42-4.2.52 RPM but never liked the problems and options I had for
> installing it, there were always conflicts with existing packages at some
> level of sub-level of dependencies.

Can you go into more detail on this point?

Max.