Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Daniel Cañas <da...@unity.ncsu.edu> on 2005/02/14 20:50:42 UTC

sa-learn ham from my emails

I have over 2000 emails that I have as ham and would like to feed to
sa-learn..

The emails are all mine (that is they are addresed to me) is this a
problem for sa-learn?

Will it learn the headers and mark my email address as a token for
ham... causing bayes to not work correctly for my address?

I have legit spam that I want to learn but I am afraid to do it if I
don't have corresponding number of ham.

I guess the question is:
Is feeding a bunch of emails addressed to a single person into sa-learn
a good thing to do?

Re: sa-learn ham from my emails

Posted by Daniel Cañas <da...@unity.ncsu.edu>.
On Feb 14, 2005, at 2:54 PM, Jim Maul wrote:

> Daniel Cañas wrote:
>> I have over 2000 emails that I have as ham and would like to feed to
>> sa-learn..
>> The emails are all mine (that is they are addresed to me) is this a
>> problem for sa-learn?
>> Will it learn the headers and mark my email address as a token for
>> ham... causing bayes to not work correctly for my address?
>> I have legit spam that I want to learn but I am afraid to do it if I
>> don't have corresponding number of ham.
>> I guess the question is:
>> Is feeding a bunch of emails addressed to a single person into
>> sa-learn a good thing to do?
>
> I dont believe this to be an issue.  Not to mention that feeding the
> same number of ham/spam is not necessary either.  Many people have
> bayes databases with largely different spam/ham numbers.

cool.. Thanks...

Posted by Jim Maul <jm...@elih.org>.

Posted by Thomas Arend <ml...@arend-whv.info>.
Am Montag, 14. Februar 2005 23:13 schrieb Daniel Cañas:
> On Feb 14, 2005, at 3:34 PM, Thomas Arend wrote:
> > Am Montag, 14. Februar 2005 20:50 schrieb Daniel Cañas:
> >> I have over 2000 emails that I have as ham and would like to feed to
> >> sa-learn..

[..]

> >> I have legit spam that I want to learn but I am afraid to do it if I
> >> don't have corresponding number of ham.
> >
> > To my opinion and expirience this is bullshit.
>
> Cool.. this is good to know as I can collect tons of spam.

I have a ratio of 1 : 40 and bayes works fine.

Thomas
--
icq:133073900
http://www.t-arend.de

Re: sa-learn ham from my emails

Posted by Daniel Cañas <da...@unity.ncsu.edu>.
On Feb 14, 2005, at 3:34 PM, Thomas Arend wrote:

> Am Montag, 14. Februar 2005 20:50 schrieb Daniel Cañas:
>> I have over 2000 emails that I have as ham and would like to feed to
>> sa-learn..
>
> You should train them as ham.

That is my plan

>> The emails are all mine (that is they are addresed to me) is this a
>> problem for sa-learn?
>
> Where is the problem? If they are not for you, why did you get them?
>>
>> Will it learn the headers and mark my email address as a token for
>> ham... causing bayes to not work correctly for my address?
>
> The address will be one token. If you feed spam to sa-learn your
> address will
> be also a token for spam. But bayes does not work only on one token.
>

>> I have legit spam that I want to learn but I am afraid to do it if I
>> don't have corresponding number of ham.
>
> To my opinion and expirience this is bullshit.

Cool.. this is good to know as I can collect tons of spam.

>> I guess the question is:
>> Is feeding a bunch of emails addressed to a single person into
>> sa-learn
>> a good thing to do?
>
> Why not? I run spamassassin on a single user system. You can have an
> individual database for every user or a common db for all users. In
> the last
> case you should train spam not only for one user.

I just switched to sitewide bayes and the spam I train is addressed to
different users.
Mostly non-existent users on my system whose mail is forwarded to the
admin account.

Posted by Thomas Arend <ml...@arend-whv.info>.
Am Montag, 14. Februar 2005 20:50 schrieb Daniel Cañas:
> I have over 2000 emails that I have as ham and would like to feed to
> sa-learn..

You should train them as ham.