Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Rob De Langhe <ro...@twistfare.be> on 2012/01/31 10:40:36 UTC

[users@httpd] building and installing on different servers, different directories

hi Apache gurus,

we have -what I assume a rather typical situation of modern IT environment- no compiler on our production servers.

So, the building of Apache will need to be done on (duh) development servers, that do not necessarily have the same directory structures as the target production server where the installation needs to be done.

When I run the "configure" utility, I know that the "prefix" option will specify a different location for the installation than what otherwise would be the default location of "/usr/local". But I also see that all the Makefiles in the different subdirectories are generated with hardcoded directory names of my development server. Directory names that do not exist on my production server. So the "make install" complains that it doesn't find the source files to install, since it looks for the directories that exist on the development server and which do not exist on the production server.

So : how can I get the compiled set of files transferred to my production server and install them there from a different source directory tree ?

thx in advance for your reactions
Rob

Re: [users@httpd] building and installing on different servers, different directories

Posted by Igor Cicimov <ic...@gmail.com>.
You can also create symbolic links for the missing directories.

Posted by Igor Cicimov <ic...@gmail.com>.