Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ray Johnson <Ra...@ingenio.com> on 2004/05/10 05:19:11 UTC

Behavior of svn move

We just moved a folder of a large number of files under a folder to a
new location.  On the client doing the move it was a painless thing.
However, for other clients it seemed to have to download all the files
again as "new" files and the a delete of the old location.  In this
because the directory was so large it took a while to do.

I'm curious why the behavior for the second client was not more like a
"move" then all the adds and a delete.  Is this be design for some
reason?  Or is it an optimization waiting to happen?

Ray

Re: Behavior of svn move

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Ray Johnson wrote:

> We just moved a folder of a large number of files under a folder to a
> new location.  On the client doing the move it was a painless thing.
> However, for other clients it seemed to have to download all the files
> again as "new" files and the a delete of the old location.  In this
> because the directory was so large it took a while to do.
>
> I'm curious why the behavior for the second client was not more like a
> "move" then all the adds and a delete.  Is this be design for some
> reason?  Or is it an optimization waiting to happen?

Currently, rename or move are implemented as a copy+delete. Yes, this is
an optimization waiting to happen, but it'll be a while; first, the
server has to implement "real" renames; then the client has to learn to
handle them during updates.

-- Brane