Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com> on 2017/11/13 18:32:29 UTC

How to analyse the debugger performance

Hi,

At work, I have in my project group with just over 100 open projects.
Whenever I attempt to debug the application, I find the
debugger/NetBeans slow and sluggish.

Now I'm not sure if this is related to the number of open projects,
the number of breakpoints I have, or indeed the webapp I'm debugging,
but unfortunately, I sit next to an IntelliJ user and they don't seem
to have the same issues, with an identical machine. So I must assume
its NetBeans related....

I want to start to analyse why this is happening, maybe get enough
content to raise/fix? a defect etc.

What would be the first set of steps?

Regards

John

Re: How to analyse the debugger performance

Posted by Lars Bruun-Hansen <lb...@gmail.com>.
In my experience working with many open projects is not per se something
which is slowing NetBeans down. However, working with many open projects
*and* not enough memory is. If NetBeans doesn't have enough memory to work
with then things will become slow.

Do you have enough RAM on your machine and - just as important - are you
letting NetBeans have enough of it?  If I remember correctly, on JDK8 the
default max heap setting is 1/4 of the physical RAM. So if your workstation
has 16 GB then NetBeans will by default not be allowed to use more than 4
GB of those. Give it some more! Fix memory allocation in etc/netbeans.conf
if needed.

At least this is worth looking into before you start more time consuming
adventures. :-)

Posted by Peter Cheung <mc...@hotmail.com>.
in java world, the debugger performance really cant compare with visual studio, when pressing f10 to single step, it response really fast.

should we rebuild the netbeans debugger?

Martin Dindoffer <md...@gmail.com>> 於 2017年11月14日 上午4:39 寫道:

Posted by Martin Dindoffer <md...@gmail.com>.
Hi John,

AW: How to analyse the debugger performance

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
In no other application like IntelliJ or Visual Studio, you need to change the size at all. It is still working fast.
Of Course it could be about the using modules, the used Memory, the opened Projects etc.

I realized it too, that the debugger is quite slow sometimes in some cases like jumping to code, maybe it is not about the debugger maybe it is the function where you can go to code when you jump into the code via breakpoints. I think the debugger needs a deeper look to optimize it. I really think, that there can be a lot of improvements.

Cheers

Chris

Posted by Lars Bruun-Hansen <lb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John McDonnell <mc...@gmail.com>.