Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by DM...@lbl.gov on 2004/05/27 22:51:11 UTC

Hits object

At one point I thought I'd read that a Hits object
doesn't actually contain Documents, but rather
references to them.  However, in that case I
wouldn't expect I could save a Hits object past the
closing of it's orginiating Searcher (in this case a
MultiSearcher:  Hits hits =
myMultiSearcher.search(....)).  yet later when I
access the same Hits object (having reinstantiated a
new MultiSearcher, myMultiSearcher2, but *not*
performing a new search) I can retrieve documents
from the Hits object without complaint.  Is this
just my good fortune that things haven't been
garbage-collected yet?  Or does the Hits object
contain the full document set?

--David

Re: Hits object

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
Hits caches up to 200 HitDocs, which may contain the underlying
Document.  I suspect you accessed a Document that had already been
accessed and thus found something in the cache, and it did not have to
get back to the underlying searcher.

	Erik