Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@gmail.com> on 2023/06/06 20:39:56 UTC

A rule for modified code distribution

Hi, All.

I'm a member of Apache Spark PMC and have a legal question about the
following rule. (There is an on-going discussion about this topic in
dev@spark mailing list currently [1].)

https://www.apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html#Name-changes
"MAY I CALL MY MODIFIED CODE 'APACHE'?"

For instance, is it legitimate when a company sells a bigger product
claiming to "include Apache Spark 3.4.0" (a) and to communicate the users
by disguising their internal product like the official Apache Spark 3.4.0
binary (b) in terms of its Spark UI, logs and CLI and the version number.
Of course, it's a modified code from Apache Spark 3.4.0.

(a) A product information
[image: 13.1_includes_Apache_Spark_3.4.0.png]

(b) Their modified code's UI example
[image: Screenshot 2023-06-04 at 9.37.16 PM.png]

Historically and currently, there exist many products powered by Apache
Spark, but they provide a way to distinguish them by using different
version numbers like `3.4.0-xxx`. However, the above example is the most
confusing case because it sounds like claiming to be Apache Spark 3.4.0
itself inside their products.

you give us some advice for this use case?

Reference
1. https://lists.apache.org/thread/k7gr65wt0fwtldc7hp7bd0vkg1k93rrb (Apache
Spark Dev Mailing List Thread)

Re: A rule for modified code distribution

Posted by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@apache.org>.
Thank you, Justin and Dave.

I'll read it carefully and do follow-up properly.

Dongjoon

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@comcast.net>.