Posted to dev@drill.apache.org by Michael Lazar <ml...@clouderagovt.com> on 2016/08/11 11:32:19 UTC

The project says it has dozens of committers

You say you have “dozens of committers”. A dozen is 12.  You have 21 names
on the list. That is not even 2 dozen.  Seems to be a math error to me.

Michael Lazar, Sr Sales Engineer

301 202 4084

[image:
http://files.cloudera.com.s3.amazonaws.com/email-imgs/2016/hadoop10.png]

Cloudera Enterprise  Easy, Fast, Secure

Re: The project says it has dozens of committers

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.
On Drill's Team page[1] it says “It currently includes dozens of contributors employed by many organizations”. It doesn’t make any claim about number of *committers*, only *contributors*. I think you mis-read the page.

I count 99 distinct email addresses and 88 distinct names in the commit log, so it’s reasonable to say there are at least 7 dozen code contributors. If we were to include non-code contributors (people who have contributed by participating in discussions, blogging about the project, or logging jira requests) I’m sure we’d have many dozen more.

In the press release on Drill’s graduation[2], Tomer Shiran said "It is the outcome of almost three years of development involving dozens of engineers from numerous companies”. Also true.

Julian

[1] https://drill.apache.org/team/ <https://drill.apache.org/team/>

[2] https://drill.apache.org/blog/2015/05/19/the-apache-software-foundation-announces-apache-drill-1.0/ <https://drill.apache.org/blog/2015/05/19/the-apache-software-foundation-announces-apache-drill-1.0/>

Posted by Jason Altekruse <ja...@dremio.com>.
I believe the page you are referring to is our "Team" page available here
[1]. The page does not say we have dozens of comitters, it says
contributors, who we currently don't credit on this page, but whose
contributions are tracked through JIRA and git. If you look at the github
mirror of our repo you can see that there are 65 contributors according to
Github's accounting, but I'm pretty sure that only tracks commits
associated with e-mail that have connected Github accounts. For quite a
while we used patch files, so there is a good chance that we received
contributions from a few users without github accounts.

This page should be updated to include Cloudera on the list of contributing
organizations, as several members of the Kudu team including Todd Lipcon
helped contribute an experimental Kudu reader.

[1] - https://drill.apache.org/team/

Jason Altekruse
Software Engineer at Dremio
Apache Drill Committer