Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Patrick Wendell <pw...@gmail.com> on 2015/02/06 21:55:11 UTC

Unit tests

Hey All,

The tests are in a not-amazing state right now due to a few compounding factors:

1. We've merged a large volume of patches recently.
2. The load on jenkins has been relatively high, exposing races and
other behavior not seen at lower load.

For those not familiar, the main issue is flaky (non deterministic)
test failures. Right now I'm trying to prioritize keeping the
PullReqeustBuilder in good shape since it will block development if it
is down.

For other tests, let's try to keep filing JIRA's when we see issues
and use the flaky-test label (see http://bit.ly/1yRif9S):

I may contact people regarding specific tests. This is a very high
priority to get in good shape. This kind of thing is no one's "fault"
but just the result of a lot of concurrent development, and everyone
needs to pitch in to get back in a good place.

- Patrick

Re: Unit tests

Posted by Iulian Dragoș <iu...@typesafe.com>.
Thank, Josh, I missed that PR.

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 7:45 PM, Josh Rosen <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Iulian,
>
> I think the AkakUtilsSuite failure that you observed has been fixed in
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-5548 /
> https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/4343
>
> On February 9, 2015 at 5:47:59 AM, Iulian Dragoș (
> iulian.dragos@typesafe.com) wrote:
>
> Hi Patrick,
>
> Thanks for the heads up. I was trying to set up our own infrastructure for
> testing Spark (essentially, running `run-tests` every night) on EC2. I
> stumbled upon a number of flaky tests, but none of them look similar to
> anything in Jira with the flaky-test tag. I wonder if there's something
> wrong with our infrastructure, or I should simply open Jira tickets with
> the failures I find. For example, one that appears fairly often on our
> setup is in AkkaUtilsSuite "remote fetch ssl on - untrusted server"
> (exception `ActorNotFound`, instead of `TimeoutException`).
>
> thanks,
> iulian
>

> On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 9:55 PM, Patrick Wendell <pw...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hey All,
> >
> > The tests are in a not-amazing state right now due to a few compounding
> > factors:
> >
> > 1. We've merged a large volume of patches recently.
> > 2. The load on jenkins has been relatively high, exposing races and
> > other behavior not seen at lower load.
> >
> > For those not familiar, the main issue is flaky (non deterministic)
> > test failures. Right now I'm trying to prioritize keeping the
> > PullReqeustBuilder in good shape since it will block development if it
> > is down.
> >
> > For other tests, let's try to keep filing JIRA's when we see issues
> > and use the flaky-test label (see http://bit.ly/1yRif9S):
> >
> > I may contact people regarding specific tests. This is a very high
> > priority to get in good shape. This kind of thing is no one's "fault"
> > but just the result of a lot of concurrent development, and everyone
> > needs to pitch in to get back in a good place.
> >
> > - Patrick

> Iulian Dragos
>
> ------
> Reactive Apps on the JVM
> www.typesafe.com

Iulian Dragos

------
Reactive Apps on the JVM
www.typesafe.com

Re: Unit tests

Posted by Josh Rosen <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi Iulian,

I think the AkakUtilsSuite failure that you observed has been fixed in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-5548 / https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/4343
On February 9, 2015 at 5:47:59 AM, Iulian Dragoș (iulian.dragos@typesafe.com) wrote:

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the heads up. I was trying to set up our own infrastructure for
testing Spark (essentially, running `run-tests` every night) on EC2. I
stumbled upon a number of flaky tests, but none of them look similar to
anything in Jira with the flaky-test tag. I wonder if there's something
wrong with our infrastructure, or I should simply open Jira tickets with
the failures I find. For example, one that appears fairly often on our
setup is in AkkaUtilsSuite "remote fetch ssl on - untrusted server"
(exception `ActorNotFound`, instead of `TimeoutException`).

thanks,
iulian

On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 9:55 PM, Patrick Wendell <pw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey All,
>
> The tests are in a not-amazing state right now due to a few compounding
> factors:
>
> 1. We've merged a large volume of patches recently.
> 2. The load on jenkins has been relatively high, exposing races and
> other behavior not seen at lower load.
>
> For those not familiar, the main issue is flaky (non deterministic)
> test failures. Right now I'm trying to prioritize keeping the
> PullReqeustBuilder in good shape since it will block development if it
> is down.
>
> For other tests, let's try to keep filing JIRA's when we see issues
> and use the flaky-test label (see http://bit.ly/1yRif9S):
>
> I may contact people regarding specific tests. This is a very high
> priority to get in good shape. This kind of thing is no one's "fault"
> but just the result of a lot of concurrent development, and everyone
> needs to pitch in to get back in a good place.
>
> - Patrick

Iulian Dragos

------
Reactive Apps on the JVM
www.typesafe.com

Re: Unit tests

Posted by Iulian Dragoș <iu...@typesafe.com>.
Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the heads up. I was trying to set up our own infrastructure for
testing Spark (essentially, running `run-tests` every night) on EC2. I
stumbled upon a number of flaky tests, but none of them look similar to
anything in Jira with the flaky-test tag. I wonder if there's something
wrong with our infrastructure, or I should simply open Jira tickets with
the failures I find. For example, one that appears fairly often on our
setup is in AkkaUtilsSuite "remote fetch ssl on - untrusted server"
(exception `ActorNotFound`, instead of `TimeoutException`).

thanks,
iulian

On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 9:55 PM, Patrick Wendell <pw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey All,
>
> The tests are in a not-amazing state right now due to a few compounding
> factors:
>
> 1. We've merged a large volume of patches recently.
> 2. The load on jenkins has been relatively high, exposing races and
> other behavior not seen at lower load.
>
> For those not familiar, the main issue is flaky (non deterministic)
> test failures. Right now I'm trying to prioritize keeping the
> PullReqeustBuilder in good shape since it will block development if it
> is down.
>
> For other tests, let's try to keep filing JIRA's when we see issues
> and use the flaky-test label (see http://bit.ly/1yRif9S):
>
> I may contact people regarding specific tests. This is a very high
> priority to get in good shape. This kind of thing is no one's "fault"
> but just the result of a lot of concurrent development, and everyone
> needs to pitch in to get back in a good place.
>
> - Patrick

Iulian Dragos

------
Reactive Apps on the JVM