Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Michael Riess <sd...@selltec.de> on 2002/10/05 18:52:21 UTC

Chicken and the egg

Hi there,

Situation: I built a working configuration of Apache 2.0.35, Tomcat 4.0.4
and mod_jk, now I want to update my system.

I downloaded Apache 2.0.43, downloaded mod_jk2 binary ... just for 2.0.42,
so I downloaded the source ... libtool doesn't know -lapr ... tried to
default to mod_jk ... Tomcat 4.1.12 seems to support jk2 ONLY ... so now I'm
stuck.

Does anybody know a HOWTO that covers the two basic steps:
1. Integrate mod_jk2 in Apache 2.0
2. Get Tomcat to use jk2 (apparently this is the easier job ;-))

Sorry, the procedure is VERY complicated for users who don't do this
everyday. Actually, it is complicated because no documentation exists AND
the binary builds of Apache/jk/jk2 are NEVER compatible.

Re: AW: HOWTO for Apache 2.0.43 and Tomcat 4.1.12 using mod_jk2

Posted by Malachi de AElfweald <ma...@tremerechantry.com>.
Ok, rebuilt Apache up to 2.0.42 (not sure where I got 43 from... it was an older version).
This immediately made about 4 of the mods not work. jk2 still didn't work.

so deleted and redid the connectors...
modified all the build.properties files...
did ant in the main directory
evidentally, that wasn't enough
so did ant in the jk directory
still not building mod_jk2.so
so did ant in the native2 directory

it SAID that it built the mod_jk2 in jk/build/apache2/mod_jk2.so
but, it isn't there. neither is the jni one.  There is a mod_jk2.o
in jk/build/apache2/server/apache2 -- but that still isn't .so (do
I just rename it? seems like something isn't right with the linking
since it SAID it was being output elsewhere)...

Anyone have any clue?  I am starting to think it is useless to
do the inprocess stuff, which sucks since Tomcat is running REAL slow...

Malachi

Posted by Malachi de AElfweald <ma...@tremerechantry.com>.

Posted by Malachi de AElfweald <ma...@tremerechantry.com>.

Posted by Malachi de AElfweald <ma...@tremerechantry.com>.

RE: Chicken and the egg

Posted by Michael Schulz <mi...@mschulz.net>.
Tomcat 4.1.x does support mod_jk as well as mod_jk2.  You just have to
enable the correct connector in your server.xml file.

In fact, I would claim that if you are currently using Tomcat 4.0.4 in
production, I would not upgrade to 4.1.x (yet) -- I would use 4.0.5 instead.
There have been enough people with issues regarding Tomcat 4.1.x that I
would wait on that unless there is something in there that you absolutely
need.

-Mike Schulz