Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com> on 2007/03/08 15:45:18 UTC

Wiki/Documentation Plea

Hi All,

Just wanted to issue a plea for the developers on the list to contribute to
the documentation on the Apache wiki (or other component appropriate
location).

This is particularly important if you are introducing a new feature,
especially those which include user configuration options.

For the Java FAQ, for example, it covered everything I could think of/had
come across originally. It would now benefit from some significant
enhancements around virtual hosts, alerting, etc.

I'll add to the docs when I get some time, but it'd be lovely (heart warming
even) to see them become a BAU for update with new features.

Go on, make an old woman happy .... well, at least write some docs !

Best be off, the caffeine has obviously gone to my head today :-)

Bfn,
Marnie

Re: Wiki/Documentation Plea

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
Marnie McCormack wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Just wanted to issue a plea for the developers on the list to
> contribute to
> the documentation on the Apache wiki (or other component appropriate
> location).

Just wanted to issue another plea for developers to keep as much
documentation as possible close to the code - i.e. in Javadoc, doxygen,
pydoc or rubydoc comments. It's much more likely to stay up to date as
code changes, it's great for people who read header files to learn how
things work and it's a boon to qpid developers who have the doc at their
fingertips - tools like eclipse can really cash in on this.

I have it on my TODO list to put the C++ doxygen on the wiki - there are
two versions: user and developer (with user being simply a filtered
version of developer, only public methods etc.) I'll JIRA it and try to
get on it soon (unless someone else grabs it.)

Cheers,
Alan.