Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org> on 2003/02/08 01:29:14 UTC

I know I'm stupid but...

I see this interface org.apache.cocoon.components.SitemapConfigurable, and I
say, well, whoha, that's friggin' cute! :-) I'm given a Configuration
element for my position in the pipeline at setup time...

Riiight, but then I start off from org.apache.cocoon.generation.Generator,
which by itself implements org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.SitemapModelComponent
and then I stop understanding...

It doesn't make any bloody sense... The two setup() methods are completely
unrelated, and have different signatures... So, well...

What's the point of having SitemapConfigurable in the first place?

    Pier

Re: I know I'm stupid but...

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
On 10/2/03 7:49, "Carsten Ziegeler" <cz...@s-und-n.de> wrote:

> Pier Fumagalli wrote:
>>
>> I see this interface
>> org.apache.cocoon.components.SitemapConfigurable, and I
>> say, well, whoha, that's friggin' cute! :-) I'm given a Configuration
>> element for my position in the pipeline at setup time...
>>
>> Riiight, but then I start off from org.apache.cocoon.generation.Generator,
>> which by itself implements org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.SitemapModelComponent
>> and then I stop understanding...
>>
>> It doesn't make any bloody sense... The two setup() methods are completely
>> unrelated, and have different signatures... So, well...
>>
>> What's the point of having SitemapConfigurable in the first place?
>>
> The answer is simple: it's a nice little hack....
>
> Ok, the SitemapConfigurable interface can be used for none-sitemap
> components
> to get configuration that is defined in the sitemap.
> We have currently two examples for this:
> a) a global input module
> b) the authentication configuration
>
> So, you can define/configure global variables in a sitemap and when the
> corresponding
> component is used it gets this congiration via the setup() method (and all
> configurations of any parent sitemap).
>
> As these components are not directly sitemap components but configured
> in the sitemap, there is this new interface.

Ah, so I can't use it for a generator :-(

    Pier

RE: I know I'm stupid but...

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Pier Fumagalli wrote:

> I see this interface
> org.apache.cocoon.components.SitemapConfigurable, and I
> say, well, whoha, that's friggin' cute! :-) I'm given a Configuration
> element for my position in the pipeline at setup time...
>
> Riiight, but then I start off from org.apache.cocoon.generation.Generator,
> which by itself implements org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.SitemapModelComponent
> and then I stop understanding...
>
> It doesn't make any bloody sense... The two setup() methods are completely
> unrelated, and have different signatures... So, well...
>
> What's the point of having SitemapConfigurable in the first place?

The answer is simple: it's a nice little hack....

Ok, the SitemapConfigurable interface can be used for none-sitemap
components
to get configuration that is defined in the sitemap.
We have currently two examples for this:
a) a global input module
b) the authentication configuration

So, you can define/configure global variables in a sitemap and when the
corresponding
component is used it gets this congiration via the setup() method (and all
configurations of any parent sitemap).

As these components are not directly sitemap components but configured
in the sitemap, there is this new interface.

Carsten