Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by wojtekpia <wo...@hotmail.com> on 2009/01/08 23:58:22 UTC

Overlapping Replication Scripts

I have set up cron jobs that update my index every 15 minutes. I have a
distributed setup, so the steps are:
1. Update index on indexer machine (and possibly optimize)
2. Invoke snapshooter on indexer
3. Invoke snappuller on searcher
4. Invoke snapinstaller on searcher.

These updates are small, don't optimize, and take at most 2 minutes (end to
end).

Nightly (or weekly or monthly), I will want to optimize my index. When I
optimize, the end-to-end time jumps to ~1 hour. With my current cron job
setup, that means I'll trigger 3 more unoptimized updates before the
optimized update completes.

What happens if I overlap the execution of my cron jobs? Do any of these
scripts detect that another instance is already executing?

Thanks.

Re: Overlapping Replication Scripts

Posted by Bill Au <bi...@gmail.com>.
You do a commit in step 1 after the update, right?  So if you configure Solr
on the indexer to invoke snapshooter after a commit and optimize, then you
would not need to invoke snapshooter explicitly using cron.  snappuller
doesn't do anything unless there is a new snapshot on the indexer.

Bill

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.