Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Shekhar Sharma <sh...@gmail.com> on 2013/07/14 19:44:56 UTC

Map slots and Reduce slots

Does the properties mapred.map.max.tasks=3 and mapred.reduce.max.tasks=4
means that machine has 3 map slots and 4 reduce slots?

Or is there any way i can determine the number of map slots and reduce
slots that i can allocate for a machine?

Let's say on a machine if i have 8GB RAM and dual core machine, how can i
determine that what would be the optimal number of map and reducer slots
for this machine

Regards,
Som Shekhar Sharma
+91-8197243810

RE: Map slots and Reduce slots

Posted by Devaraj k <de...@huawei.com>.
These configurations cannot be changed dynamically. We need to configure these values for Tasks Tracker's before starting and cannot be changed after that. If we want to change these then TT's need to be restarted. You can configure the cluster based on the resources available. You can tune your Job configuration according your cluster configurations.

Thanks
Devaraj k

Posted by Devaraj k <de...@huawei.com>.

Posted by Devaraj k <de...@huawei.com>.