Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@progress.com> on 2009/06/08 16:13:26 UTC

JAX-RS : Merges to 2.1.x branch

Hi,

CXF 2.1.x branch supports a 0.8 version of JAX-RS api.

We put quite a lot of effort into ensuring 2.1.x users can write functional
RESTful applications with the help of JAX-RS 0.8 api, by not only back merging all the fixes needed but also adapting some of the code from the CXF 2.2 lines (which uses jax-rs 1.0 api). For example, CXF REStful client api is fully supported in the 2.1.x line, even though the UriBuilder (which is used extensively in the client runtime) has different interfaces in 1.0 and 0.8.

During the last couple of months I didn't do any backmerges into 2.1.x as the bulk of changes which made it into 2.2 are either new enhancements or 1.0 api centric, as I found, especially in the latter case, the backmerges can be quite costly and time consuming. With the 2.2.x branch now being created I feel it makes sense to stop backmerging into 2.1.x unless :

* bugs in 2.1.x have to be fixed
* 2.1.x users ask for certain features which are available in 2.2/2.3 be copied to 2.1.x which is something I would be happy to do provided there're no 0.8 api restrictions.

I hope it will make sense given that most users are l;ooking forward to migrating to JAX-RS 1.0 api.

cheers, Sergey

Re: JAX-RS : Merges to 2.1.x branch

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
This seems to make sense to me.   Since 2.1.x is based on 0.8 spec, it's not
something that could even be "certified" and such.   Thus, JAX-RS users really
should  be encouraged to try and migrate up to the 1.0 spec version.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org