Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Patrick Durusau <pa...@durusau.net> on 2015/03/06 18:20:17 UTC

Apache Solr Reference Guide 5.0

Greetings,

I was looking at the PDF version of the Apache Solr Reference Guide 5.0
and noticed that it has no TOC nor any section numbering.
http://apache.claz.org/lucene/solr/ref-guide/apache-solr-ref-guide-5.0.pdf

The lack of a TOC and section headings makes navigation difficult.

I have just started making suggestions on the documentation and was
wondering if there is a reason why the TOC and section headings are
missing? (that isn't apparent from the document)

Thanks!

Hope everyone is near a great weekend!

Patrick

Re: Apache Solr Reference Guide 5.0

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: The TOC I meant was as in a traditional print publication with section #s,

I believe supressing the printed page TOC was a deliberate choice made in
the PDF stylesheet ... IIRC it was about 10 (printed) pages long and
didn't seem to add any value since hte PDF metadata seemed much more
useful (and it wsa not anticipated that many people would actually print
the guide out on physical paper)

: This came up because a section said it would cover topics N - S and I could
: not determine if all those topics fell in that section or not.

Rather then using placeholders "N" and "S" can you please refer to the
specific topics / sections you were looking at and what confused you about
them so we can better understand the problem you ran into?

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/

Re: Apache Solr Reference Guide 5.0

Posted by Patrick Durusau <pa...@durusau.net>.
Shawn,

Thanks!

I was using Document Viewer and not Adobe Acrobat so was unclear.

The TOC I meant was as in a traditional print publication with section
#s, etc. Not a navigation TOC sans numbering as in Adobe.

The Confluence documentation (I can't see the actual stylesheet in use,
I don't think) here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Customising+Exports+to+PDF

Says:

*****
Disabling the Table of Contents

To prevent the table of contents from being generated in your PDF
document, add the div.toc-macro rule to the PDF Stylesheet and set its
display property to none:
*****

Which is why I was asking if there was a reason for the TOC and section
numbering not appearing.

They can be defeated but that doesn't appear to be the default setting.

This came up because a section said it would cover topics N - S and I
could not determine if all those topics fell in that section or not.

Thanks!

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.