Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net> on 2002/01/30 03:42:48 UTC

Licensing Issues

Cocooners,

We have to resolve licensing issues quickly. I committed as many
licenses as I could find, and there are just two jars (did I miss some?)
left without license.
These are:

	xml-apis.jar
	jstyle.jar

Also, it was written on source forge that rdffilter is in public domain
- that's what I put into LICENSE.rdffilter. If somebody knows better way
to put it into the file - you are welcome to commit your changes.

Vadim

Re: Licensing Issues

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@covalent.net>.

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> > This is not a showstopper and may not even be an issue for us.
> > However, i noticed that many of the licences have strange
> > dates. Most of them say "1999" and only a couple of them say
> > "2002".
>
> We just include the licenses that they ship. This is not our problem.

Ack.

> > Also the main legal/LICENSE file has Ant replacement
> > tag for @year@
>
> Well, this is a little too far. We should change this to a valid year
> (2002) seems reasonable)

You can change the year - if you change the file for the first time that
year. You could even work out a script. It is also very common to have a
range. But I would not sweat over it. And certainly would agree that using
@year@ gives a bit too much to control to automation.. which is likely to
increase the chance of getting it wrong. (I.e the case where you have a
project which was totally stagnant for 5 years - i.e. not code commits -
and yeat mentions the 2002 in a (c).).

Dw.

Re: Licensing Issues

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
David Crossley wrote:

> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> > Cocooners,
> >
> > We have to resolve licensing issues quickly. I committed as
> > many licenses as I could find, <snip/>
>
> A big thanks to Vadim for all your work with getting the
> various licences sorted out.

Yep. Kudos, dude.

> This is not a showstopper and may not even be an issue for us.
> However, i noticed that many of the licences have strange
> dates. Most of them say "1999" and only a couple of them say
> "2002".

We just include the licenses that they ship. This is not our problem.

> Also the main legal/LICENSE file has Ant replacement
> tag for @year@

Well, this is a little too far. We should change this to a valid year
(2002) seems reasonable)

> I do not know if these are issues and i definitely do not speak
> any legal-babble.

Dirk?

> Also, does the page xdocs/license.xml now need to say that
> there are other relevant licence files in the distribution, besides
> the main one that is shown there?

I would suggest so, yes.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: Licensing Issues

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Cocooners,
>
> We have to resolve licensing issues quickly. I committed as
> many licenses as I could find, <snip/>

A big thanks to Vadim for all your work with getting the
various licences sorted out.

This is not a showstopper and may not even be an issue for us.
However, i noticed that many of the licences have strange
dates. Most of them say "1999" and only a couple of them say
"2002". Also the main legal/LICENSE file has Ant replacement
tag for @year@

I do not know if these are issues and i definitely do not speak
any legal-babble.

Also, does the page xdocs/license.xml now need to say that
there are other relevant licence files in the distribution, besides
the main one that is shown there?
--David