Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2019/12/11 11:47:52 UTC

HTTP/2 configuration

All,

The Tomcat committers are looking for some user feedback.

Currently, the HTTP/2 protocol configuration [1] duplicates many
attributes of the HTTP/1.1 protocol [2] it is nested under.

We are considering simplifying this for Tomcat 10 onwards and having the
HTTP/2 protocol simply inherit the settings from HTTP/1.1. Optionally,
we could have HTTP/2 inherit from HTTP/1.1 by default but allow an
HTTP/2 specific override if required. However, this adds quite a few
edge cases and I can't think of a use case where, for example, you'd
want to have different maxHeaderCount settings on HTTP/1.1 and HTTP/2.

So, users, what do you think?

Mark

[1] http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/config/http2.html
[2] http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-9.0-doc/config/http.html

Re: HTTP/2 configuration

Posted by "M. Manna" <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hey Mark et. al.,

On Tue, 7 Jan 2020 at 11:20, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> > Arief,
> >
> > On 12/12/19 00:25, Arief Hasani wrote:
> >> IMHO, being able to override form HTTP1.1 conf is all good as user
> >> could easily assume that if not specified in the upgrade than use
> >> http1.1 configs
> > I'm not sure you understand the question.
> >
> > Mark is asking if any users in the community are finding that they
> > need to independently configure specific parts of the HTTP/<2 versus
> > h2 *for the same port*.
> >
> > Thinks like the compression, keepalives, max headers/trailers,
> > timeouts, sendfile config, etc.
> >
> > Does it ever make sense to have sendFile enabled on the HTTP/1.1
> > connector but disable sendFile if the client upgrades to h2?
>
> Exactly.
>
> > The suspicion is that identical configuration is acceptable. Mark is
> > trying to ask if there are any exceptions before we simplify the code
> > which handles the configuration.
> >
> > If you have a specific use-case, please explain.
>
> Just pinging this thread in case there is someone with a specific use case.
>
> At the moment, I'm leaning towards the simplification for Tomcat 10
> onwards.

 It's probably better that way. The change here is big and a major release
such as 10.x is more appropriate for GA.

Re: HTTP/2 configuration

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: HTTP/2 configuration

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: HTTP/2 configuration

Posted by Luis Rodríguez Fernández <uo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark,

I 've been using tomcat for many years and the cases were I had to modify
the http connector defaults were very rare. I would go for the simplest
solution.

Hope it helps and thank you sooooo muuuuch to you and the rest of the
committers!

Luis

El jue., 12 dic. 2019 a las 6:25, Arief Hasani (<ah...@yahoo.com.invalid>)
escribió:

>  Hi Mark,
> IMHO, being able to override form HTTP1.1 conf is all good as user could
> easily assume that if not specified in the upgrade than use http1.1 configs
> Cheers

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."

- Samuel Beckett

Re: HTTP/2 configuration

Posted by Arief Hasani <ah...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
 Hi Mark,

Re: HTTP/2 configuration

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On December 11, 2019 11:54:40 AM UTC, "M. Manna" <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Mark,
>
>On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 at 11:48, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> The Tomcat committers are looking for some user feedback.
>>
>> Currently, the HTTP/2 protocol configuration [1] duplicates many
>> attributes of the HTTP/1.1 protocol [2] it is nested under.
>>
>> We are considering simplifying this for Tomcat 10 onwards and having
>the
>> HTTP/2 protocol simply inherit the settings from HTTP/1.1.
>Optionally,
>> we could have HTTP/2 inherit from HTTP/1.1 by default but allow an
>> HTTP/2 specific override if required. However, this adds quite a few
>> edge cases and I can't think of a use case where, for example, you'd
>> want to have different maxHeaderCount settings on HTTP/1.1 and
>HTTP/2.
>>
>  Inheritance seems to be an easier choice.

From an implementation perspective it is not easier. It also adds complexity on the usage as the behaviour, particular runtime changes, may not be obvious.

> Would this mean various
>connectors
>might then be using a "Factory"-like (insted of specific
>Http11*Protocol)
>to refer to the correct underlying protocol?

No.

Mark

Re: HTTP/2 configuration

Posted by "M. Manna" <ma...@gmail.com>.