Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Andy Lester <an...@petdance.com> on 2012/08/23 18:30:01 UTC

Holy cow do I love 4.0's admin screen

If you are wondering whether to upgrade to 4.0 or not, the new admin screens should put you over the edge.  So much diagnostic goodness added.  Highlights:

* Visual bars showing memory, swap space, and JVM memory used and allocated.
* Dump of JVM args so you can see how your JVM was started up.
* Log dumps in easily readable, color-coded formats.
* Core administration, including buttons for adding, renaming, swapping, reloading and optimizing.
* Core stats including last modification date, doc counts, and status indicators for optimized, current and hasDeletions.
* Query screen that, for me, replaces the /browse handler for debugging purposes
* Improved analysis debugging screens
* Pretty schema browser
* Data import status screen that obsoletes my program I wrote here: http://petdance.com/2012/07/a-little-ruby-program-to-monitor-solr-dih-imports/

Awesomeness up and down.  Give it a look.

xoa

--
Andy Lester => andy@petdance.com => www.petdance.com => AIM:petdance

Re: Holy cow do I love 4.0's admin screen

Posted by Andy Lester <an...@petdance.com>.
> can you elaborate on your comment related to your polling script written in
> ruby and how the new data import status screen makes your polling app
> obsolete?

The 4.0 admin tools have a screen that give the status in the web app so I don't have to run the CLI tool to check the indexing status.

However, it will still be necessary if I need to wait for indexing to complete in, for example, a Makefile or a script.

xoxo
Andy

Posted by geeky2 <ge...@hotmail.com>.
Andy,

we are not running solr 4.0 here in production.

can you elaborate on your comment related to your polling script written in
ruby and how the new data import status screen makes your polling app
obsolete?

i wrote my own polling app (in shell) to work around the very same issues:

http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/possible-status-codes-from-solr-during-a-DIH-data-import-process-td3987110.html

thx for the post