Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch> on 2005/08/19 08:32:24 UTC

Borders in separate border model (was Re: how to deal with the patch at Bugzilla 25900)

On 18.08.2005 15:00:49 Chris Bowditch wrote:
> Thomas Winkler wrote:
>
> > Hi Chris,
> >
> > Really strange, it still doesn't work on fo:table-row.
> > However border-after-style="dotted" and
> > border-bottom="dotted" works well on fo:table-cell.
>
> I suspect borders on table rows/columns aren't yet implemented because
> they can causes problems in a separate border collapse model. Jeremias
> will confirm this on his return.

There are no borders on table-row when the border-collapse is "separate".
In separate border model, only the table itself and each cell may have
borders.

If you look in the spec you will find the following in the applicable
properties list for fo:table-row:

- Common Border, Padding, and Background Properties — § 7.7 on page 184
Only the background properties from this set apply. If the value of
border-collapse is "collapse" or "collapse-with-precedence" for the
table the border properties also apply.

That means in border-collapse="separate" setting borders on table-row
have no effect. If the spec defined rules on how to map borders on
table-row to the individual cells we would support them, but there are
none. You have to specify your borders on table-cell.

The sad thing currently is that about 80% of the code for the collapsing
border model is in place and working. The big problem lies with the page
breaking process in this case which I haven't been able to satisfyingly
get right, yet. There are still some design docs to be finished in this
area. Some special (and very nasty) cases to figure out how to do.

Jeremias Maerki