Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com> on 2016/04/19 19:20:09 UTC

Re: RFC: Remove "HBaseTest" from examples?

Corrected typo in subject.

I want to note that the hbase-spark module in HBase is incomplete. Zhan has
several patches pending review.

hbase-spark module is currently only in master branch which would be
released as 2.0
However the release date for 2.0 is unclear - probably half a year from now.

If we remove the examples now, there would be no release from either
project which can show users how to access hbase.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
'bq.' is used in JIRA to quote what other people have said.

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.

Posted by Marcelo Vanzin <va...@cloudera.com>.
On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 11:21 AM, Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Clarification: in my previous email, I was not talking
> about spark-streaming-flume artifact or spark-streaming-kafka artifact.
> I was talking about examples for these projects, such
> as examples//src/main/python/streaming/flume_wordcount.py

I understand. And those examples are showing how to use code that is part
of Spark. HBaseTest just shows how to use a generic Spark API that can both
be used to talk to HBase or to anything else that has an InputFormat, so
it's much less useful as an example.

I'd put CassandraTest in that same category, although that particular
example at least shows more functionality than the HBase one.

--
Marcelo

Re: RFC: Remove "HBaseTest" from examples?

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcelo Vanzin <va...@cloudera.com>.

--
Marcelo

Re: RFC: Remove "HBaseTest" from examples?

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcin Tustin <mt...@handybook.com>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
I'd suggest that the hbase-downstreamer project[1] is a better place
for folks to see these examples. There's already an example for spark
streaming that does not rely on any of the new goodness in the
hbase-spark module[2].

Granted, it uses the Spark Java APIs[3], but we'd be glad to have a
scala based example if someone wanted to translate.

[1]: https://github.com/saintstack/hbase-downstreamer
[2]: https://github.com/saintstack/hbase-downstreamer#spark-streaming-test-application
[3]: https://s.apache.org/apvQ

--
busbey

Re: RFC: Remove "HBaseTest" from examples?

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcelo Vanzin <va...@cloudera.com>.

--
Marcelo

Re: RFC: Remove "HBaseTest" from examples?

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcelo Vanzin <va...@cloudera.com>.

--
Marcelo

Re: RFC: Remove "HBaseTest" from examples?

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcelo Vanzin <va...@cloudera.com>.

--
Marcelo

Re: RFC: Remove "HBaseTest" from examples?

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcelo Vanzin <va...@cloudera.com>.