Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by yishayw <yi...@hotmail.com> on 2016/07/07 03:59:30 UTC

[FlexJS] Developer Setup

I'd like to optimize my SDK development workflow. Currently I have a folder
which contains the nightly build, and a separate folder which has the latest
develop branch of flex-asjs. My main FlashBuilder project is configured to
use the nightly build as the SDK.

When I make changes to flex-asjs develop, I clean my project from
FlashBuilder, compile from the command line, and use the following (windows)
commands to copy the compiled files:

----
copy C:\dev\flexjs\flex-asjs\frameworks\js\FlexJS\libs\*.swc
C:\dev\flexjs_builds\nightly_07\frameworks\js\FlexJS\libs

copy C:\dev\flexjs\flex-asjs\frameworks\libs\*.swc
C:\dev\flexjs_builds\nightly_07\frameworks\libs

xcopy /E /Y C:\dev\flexjs\flex-asjs\frameworks\js\FlexJS\generated-sources
C:\dev\flexjs_builds\nightly_07\frameworks\js\FlexJS\generated-sources
-----

Then I can see the SDK changes in my main project.

Is there a better way to do this? Ideally, I'd like to edit a file from the
SDK in FlashBuilder and have my main project recognize the changes
immediately.

Re: [FlexJS] Developer Setup

Posted by yishayw <yi...@hotmail.com>.
It turns out I needed to add the relevant swc files to the framework project
I was tinkering with, not to my test project. The disadvantage of this is
that .actionScriptProperties, which is in git, gets changed.

Here's another video describing first what not to do (add swc files to test
project), then what to actually do (add swc files to framework project, make
changes in the framework project, build, and see results in test project).

http://screencast.com/t/pmjghHzO

So I think this is better than what I described in the beginning of the
thread, but we still need to figure out the .actionScriptProperties thing
(just add to .ignore?).

Re: [FlexJS] Developer Setup

Posted by yishayw <yi...@hotmail.com>.
This is what happens when closing projects

http://screencast.com/t/Z4AQ1gyiMVT

I'll try adding missing swcs as external libs and post results.

Re: [FlexJS] Developer Setup

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
On 7/9/16, 10:30 PM, "yishayw" <yi...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>This works nicely when all projects are open in FlashBuilder, but I try
>and
>have as few open as possible for performance and simplicity. So it looks
>like I'll be going back to my original flow. Still, it's good to know that
>options exists.

What happens when you close projects?  If you are only changing one SWC,
you should be able to only have that one SWC's project open and then
include the other SWCs either by not removing them from the SDK, or adding
them as external SWCs.

-Alex

Re: [FlexJS] Developer Setup

Re: [FlexJS] Developer Setup

Posted by yishayw <yi...@hotmail.com>.
Looks good on the flash side. I'll try the JS side later.

I made a mini video tutorial using your scheme:

Create a workspace, import projects
http://screencast.com/t/EHOi7gKp7

Add projects
http://screencast.com/t/9ms4qEwTs2nV

Play with SDK and see results
http://screencast.com/t/uDsssfGUEsM

Re: [FlexJS] Developer Setup

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Because regular Flex support Ant, I think FlexJS should as well, so we
will probably have some Ant support forever, at least to test that Falcon
still works from Ant  I will keep current Ant scripts working.  Not
everyone is a fan of Maven.  If some other committer wants to support some
other build system, that's fine too.  I don't see any reason to require a
particular build tool.  One concern I currently have is that right now,
only one person knows how to make certain kinds of fixes to the Maven
build so it is important to keep Ant going just for the "bus factor".

Maven will be superior because it eventually be faster, but I don't think
it is fast enough to eliminate using an IDE.  So we have to make sure that
Maven output works with IDEs.  I'm still not sure about how the
-config.xml file support will respond to changes in the IDEs and
vice-versa.

Maven will be superior because Chris has/will integrate code metrics.  I
won't bother with that for Ant.  So, people will make their choices, and
if you and Chris are right, more folks will end up using Maven.

-Alex

AW: [FlexJS] Developer Setup

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
No you I am talking about the Ant build.

I am realistic enough that I know that Ant won't go away soon. We are now in a state, where we are in a parity state. Users can choose which build they want to use. Alex and the others invested quite some time to make ASJS and Falcon build in Eclipse by checking in the config files. These reference the libraries with their ANT names and not the ones Maven produces. If we were to adjust the Ant build to produce the same files in the same locations, the eclipse settings could be adjusted and then the Maven workflow for ad-hoc fixes should be a lot simpler.

Currently the maven plugin is part of falcon ... I will definitely move this over to become the flex-maven-plugin (currently it's flexJS-maven-plugin). As soon as we have released one version of the two other modules I think we should reference these and only do a new release if we need one. Then I'll also change the build of the externs not to use the flexjs-maven-plugin and hereby resolve the last cycle ... then we'll be down to one simple "mvn clean install".

Chris

________________________________

--

Carlos Rovira
Director General

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: [FlexJS] Developer Setup

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi Chris,

--

Carlos Rovira
Director General

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

AW: [FlexJS] Developer Setup

> [...]

> >When I make changes to flex-asjs develop, I clean my project from
> >FlashBuilder, compile from the command line, and use the following
> >(windows)
> >commands to copy the compiled files:
> >
> >----
> >copy C:\dev\flexjs\flex-asjs\frameworks\js\FlexJS\libs\*.swc
> >C:\dev\flexjs_builds\nightly_07\frameworks\js\FlexJS\libs
> >
> >copy C:\dev\flexjs\flex-asjs\frameworks\libs\*.swc
> >C:\dev\flexjs_builds\nightly_07\frameworks\libs
> >
> >xcopy /E /Y C:\dev\flexjs\flex-asjs\frameworks\js\FlexJS\generated-sources
> >C:\dev\flexjs_builds\nightly_07\frameworks\js\FlexJS\generated-sources
> >-----
> >
> >Then I can see the SDK changes in my main project.
> >
> >Is there a better way to do this? Ideally, I'd like to edit a file from
> >the
> >SDK in FlashBuilder and have my main project recognize the changes

Carlos Rovira
Director General
M: +34 607 22 60 05
http://www.codeoscopic.com
http://www.avant2.es

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: [FlexJS] Developer Setup

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi Alex,

> [...]

> >When I make changes to flex-asjs develop, I clean my project from
> >FlashBuilder, compile from the command line, and use the following
> >(windows)
> >commands to copy the compiled files:
> >
> >----
> >copy C:\dev\flexjs\flex-asjs\frameworks\js\FlexJS\libs\*.swc
> >C:\dev\flexjs_builds\nightly_07\frameworks\js\FlexJS\libs
> >
> >copy C:\dev\flexjs\flex-asjs\frameworks\libs\*.swc
> >C:\dev\flexjs_builds\nightly_07\frameworks\libs
> >
> >xcopy /E /Y C:\dev\flexjs\flex-asjs\frameworks\js\FlexJS\generated-sources
> >C:\dev\flexjs_builds\nightly_07\frameworks\js\FlexJS\generated-sources
> >-----
> >
> >Then I can see the SDK changes in my main project.
> >
> >Is there a better way to do this? Ideally, I'd like to edit a file from
> >the
> >SDK in FlashBuilder and have my main project recognize the changes

Carlos Rovira
Director General
M: +34 607 22 60 05
http://www.codeoscopic.com
http://www.avant2.es

proceda a su destrucción.

necesaria.

Re: [FlexJS] Developer Setup

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

AW: [FlexJS] Developer Setup

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
You could give the Maven build a try. That should ease up some of the workflow :-)

Chris