Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by Christopher Clark <cs...@cs.washington.edu> on 2015/11/14 14:23:00 UTC

Poor rendering performance with Java 8

Hi all,

I noticed then when using Java 8, PDFs with very large images inside them
get rendered extremely slowly. For example rendering this PDF with
PDFToImage:

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/ai2-s2-pdfs/979c/aed2e935804a81cd5682a2589614ca54fbe1.pdf

Took me 8 seconds with PDFBox 2.0 and Java 7 but 43 seconds when running
the identical command with Java 8.

The culprit seems to be the method "toRGBImageAWT" in
"org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.graphics.color.PDColorSpace" which is eating a
ton of processing time when using Java 8.  This in turn is probably relates
to JDK-8041125: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8041125

My question is: are there any fixes or workarounds that could allow me to
process these kinds of PDFs in a reasonable amount of time when using Java
8?

Thanks,
Chris

Re: Poor rendering performance with Java 8

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Am 14.11.2015 um 14:23 schrieb Christopher Clark:
> Hi all,
>
> I noticed then when using Java 8, PDFs with very large images inside them
> get rendered extremely slowly. For example rendering this PDF with
> PDFToImage:
>
> https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/ai2-s2-pdfs/979c/aed2e935804a81cd5682a2589614ca54fbe1.pdf
>
> Took me 8 seconds with PDFBox 2.0 and Java 7 but 43 seconds when running
> the identical command with Java 8.
>
> The culprit seems to be the method "toRGBImageAWT" in
> "org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.graphics.color.PDColorSpace" which is eating a
> ton of processing time when using Java 8.  This in turn is probably relates
> to JDK-8041125: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8041125
>
> My question is: are there any fixes or workarounds that could allow me to
> process these kinds of PDFs in a reasonable amount of time when using Java
> 8?

Yes, you need to avoid LittleCMS. See here
http://www.subshell.com/en/subshell/blog/Wrong-Colors-in-Images-with-Java8-100.html
search for "solution".

Tilman