Posted to user@struts.apache.org by er...@mindspring.com on 2009/09/22 20:01:34 UTC

[OT] Recommend a hosting company

Hello. I have been inactive on this list for years but used to post a lot before I moved primarily into Swing development.

I need a good place to set up a web application. I have modest needs but also some special needs perhaps:

1) Tomcat.
2) JDBC database (MySQL would be great but it could be something else).
3) Modest bandwidth consumption -- we're talking maybe a couple hundred users, maybe 20 simultaneous users, maybe a few MB of upload/download per day per user.
4) Modest drive space -- lots of text files but no large files. 100-200 MB should do fine for starters.
5) And this might be the atypical requirement, and is the most important -- I need a host that offers me nice management of the file system. What I am really wanting to do is use a terminal to SSH in, and use something like bash to set up users and groups, create directories and manage file and directory permissions with chmod and chown, etc., and also read and write to the filesystem with objects running in Tomcat. What I don't want is some GUI over FTP. I am hoping this doesn't necessarily mean I need a dedicated hosting plan ($$$).
6) I can't afford more than $20-$40 per month.
7) An XMPP server would be awesome but is not required.

If any of you are using a hosting company that offers something like this, please post up with your recommendation or feel free to e-mail me directly.

Thanks in advance and have a nice day,
Erik

Re: [OT] Recommend a hosting company

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.