Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Darren Sutherland <ol...@yahoo.com> on 2000/07/06 02:29:30 UTC

Malformed HTML in XML

Is it possible to include malformed HTML in an XML
document? This is a problem with a web based
application I'm working on that accepts HTML tags as
input for a personal description. The XML is created
from this data which is stored in a DB. The HTML will
not work properly as an attribute of a tag, and the
<![CDATA[ .. ]]> tag will simply ignore all the HTML
tags within it. Is there any XML based solution, or
would a custom parser need to be written? Will Xalan
support this? Thanks very much.

http://im.yahoo.com/

Re: Malformed HTML in XML

Posted by Donald Ball <ba...@webslingerZ.com>.
> Is it possible to include malformed HTML in an XML
> document? This is a problem with a web based
> application I'm working on that accepts HTML tags as
> input for a personal description. The XML is created
> from this data which is stored in a DB. The HTML will
> not work properly as an attribute of a tag, and the
> <![CDATA[ .. ]]> tag will simply ignore all the HTML
> tags within it. Is there any XML based solution, or
> would a custom parser need to be written? Will Xalan
> support this? Thanks very much.

you might look to openxml (http://www.openxml.org/) or jtidy for help -
they both offer HTML DOM parsers which can read poorly formed HTML and
generate a DOM object from them.

- donald