Posted to regexp-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> on 2001/04/11 02:58:51 UTC

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-regexp/build build-regexp.sh build-regexp.xml run-tests.sh

on 4/10/01 4:28 AM, "gholam@apache.org" <gh...@apache.org> wrote:

> -    <property name="build.compiler" value="classic"/>
> +    <property name="build.compiler" value="jikes"/>

What you should do is remove this entirely and use Ant 1.3 which will set it
for you.

Also, you should add lines like this:

    <!-- Give user a chance to override without editing this file
         (and without typing -D each time they invoke a target) -->
    <property file="${user.home}/.ant.properties" />
    <property file=".ant.properties" />

To the top of the file. That will allow people to override the settings as
needed.

Thanks!

-jon

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-regexp/build build-regexp.sh build-regexp.xml run-tests.sh

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@bost.de>.
Michael McCallum <mi...@spinsoftware.com> wrote:

> On 10 Apr 2001, at 17:58, Jon Stevens wrote:
>
>> on 4/10/01 4:28 AM, "gholam@apache.org" <gh...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> > -    <property name="build.compiler" value="classic"/>
>> > +    <property name="build.compiler" value="jikes"/>
>>
>> What you should do is remove this entirely and use Ant 1.3 which
>> will set it for you.
> Definitely should move to ant 1.3.
>
> How does it set it for me?

It doesn't.  It will chose classic vs. modern by itself (and so did
any version since mid May 2000).

But right now - without Jon's advice to import user properties before
that line - the build is going to fail for people without jikes.

I'd rather not set build.compiler in the project's build file at all
and set it to jikes in my personal properties file or ~/.antrc.

Cheers
        Stefan

Re: cvs commit: jakarta-regexp/build build-regexp.sh build-regexp.xml run-tests.sh

Posted by Michael McCallum <mi...@spinsoftware.com>.
On 10 Apr 2001, at 17:58, Jon Stevens wrote:

> on 4/10/01 4:28 AM, "gholam@apache.org" <gh...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > -    <property name="build.compiler" value="classic"/>
> > +    <property name="build.compiler" value="jikes"/>
>
> What you should do is remove this entirely and use Ant 1.3 which will set it
> for you.
Definitely should move to ant 1.3.

How does it set it for me?
Quoting from that ant 1.3 docs...
<quote>
It is possible to use different compilers. This can be selected with the "build.compiler" property. There are     four choices

For JDK 1.1/1.2, classic is the default. For JDK 1.3, modern is the default.
</quote>

But the best solution would be to set it in the property file below for me and leave the default to whatever ant chooses.

> Also, you should add lines like this:
>
>     <!-- Give user a chance to override without editing this file
>          (and without typing -D each time they invoke a target) -->
>     <property file="${user.home}/.ant.properties" />
>     <property file=".ant.properties" />
>
> To the top of the file. That will allow people to override the settings as
> needed.
I did but with ${user.home}/.jakarta-regexp.properties. No check that I thought I had but does not seem to be in the commit. hmm.