Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Norman Khine <no...@khine.net> on 2006/12/15 13:19:14 UTC

[users@httpd] Mod re-write help

Hello,

I would like to know how to turn this URI

http://destinationsguide.info/catalogue/c51/c57?b_start=15

into something like

http://destinationsguide.info/catalogue/africa/eastern-africa.html

I am already using one rewrite into Zope, so I am not sure how to proceed.

<VirtualHost *:80>
  ServerName destinationsguide.info
  ServerAlias www.destinationsguide.info
  RewriteEngine On
  #RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www\.destinationsguide\.info [nc]
  #RewriteRule (.*) http://destinationsguide.info [R=301,C]
  RewriteRule ^/(.*)
http://destinationsguide.info:15080/VirtualHostBase/http/destinationsguide.info:80/destinations/VirtualHostRoot/$1
[L,P]

Thanks

Norman

Re: [users@httpd] Mod re-write help

Posted by Norman Khine <no...@khine.net>.
Joshua Slive wrote:
> On 12/15/06, Norman Khine <no...@khine.net> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to know how to turn this URI
>>
>> http://destinationsguide.info/catalogue/c51/c57?b_start=15
>>
>> into something like
>>
>> http://destinationsguide.info/catalogue/africa/eastern-africa.html
>>
>> I am already using one rewrite into Zope, so I am not sure how to
>> proceed.
>>
>> <VirtualHost *:80>
>>   ServerName destinationsguide.info
>>   ServerAlias www.destinationsguide.info
>>   RewriteEngine On
>>   #RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www\.destinationsguide\.info [nc]
>>   #RewriteRule (.*) http://destinationsguide.info [R=301,C]
>>   RewriteRule ^/(.*)
>> http://destinationsguide.info:15080/VirtualHostBase/http/destinationsguide.info:80/destinations/VirtualHostRoot/$1
>>
>> [L,P]
>
> The problem is a little under-specified.  What do you mean by "turn
> into"?  Do you expect people to use the "pretty" url, and then you
> will internally send them to Zope using the less-pretty one?  Or do
> you want to externally redirect between them so that people enter the
> less-pretty url and then their browser location bar changes?
>
> In addition, it is unclear how you expect the mapping between the two
> urls to work in general.  Do you have a list that maps one form to the
> other?
>
> Joshua.

Hi Joshua,

I wanted to make the URL's google /index engine search friendly -
whether this is possible, I am not sure ;(

My idea was to use the Page header and use this as the mapping, but I
can see the problem now...

Forget I asked...

By the way,  how do I make this to work

  #RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www\.destinationsguide\.info [nc]
  #RewriteRule (.*) http://destinationsguide.info [R=301,C]

When I uncomment the code the second RewriteRule is not taken into account

Cheers

Norman

--
Norman Khine

Re: [users@httpd] Mod re-write help

Posted by Norman Khine <no...@khine.net>.
Germer, Carsten wrote:
> Heya Norman,
> this is a Zope problem, or even more of the Content Management System
> (Plone, ZMS etc.) you use within Zope.
> I had the same problem and it turned out that you have to have the logic
> that maps between the "pretty URLs" and your object-ids within Zope.
> You can not rely on Apache to solve that unless you want to maintain a
> _huge_ list of rewrite rules.
> Fortunately our CMS "ZMS" has such a logic which we're using now.
> I think if you turn to the mailing list for your CMS you should have a
> solution very quickly.
>
> Cheers /Carsten

> Carsten Germer         Deutsches Elektronen Synchrotron (Web-Office, IT)
> phone:  +49-40-8998-1661                                    Notkestr. 85
> web: http://wof.desy.de                                    22607 Hamburg
> e-mail: carsten.germer@desy.de                                   Germany

Hi  Carsten,

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. What is the logic with the ZMS
used to map this, is there an external python method? For now I am using
the Bizar Shop, as I will be linking this to a payment system, but maybe
will change, is still early.

By the way the http://www.zms-publishing.com seems cool, how do you
compare to Plone for example?

Cheers