Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2018/04/22 08:45:52 UTC

Use of org.hamcrest.Matchers

Hi

when Apache Gump builds Ant it builds it against Hamcrest 2.x which used
to work fine as long as we didn't use many matchers. It looks as if one
of the breaking changes introduced with Hamcrest 2.x is the removal of
the Matchers class. See

http://vmgump-vm3.apache.org/ant/dist-ant/gump_work/build_ant_dist-ant.html

I know we stopped monitoring Gump builds a long time ago and changing
the code to adapt to breaking changes in other libraries feels strange,
but would anybod mind if I changed the imports to ones that should work
with both Hamcrest 1.x and 2.x? I.e. replace

import static org.hamcrest.Matchers.containsString;

with

import static org.hamcrest.core.StringContains.containsString;

?

Stefan

Re: Use of org.hamcrest.Matchers

Posted by Gintautas Grigelionis <g....@gmail.com>.

> MG>Hi Gintas please see question below
>
> I wish we could replace fetch.xml with an Ivy equivalent :-)
> MG>lib/libraries.properties
> MG>hamcrest-core.version=1.3
> MG>hamcrest-library.version=${hamcrest-core.version}
>
> MG>if fetch.xml is deprecated would'nt you want to deprecate
> lib/libraries.properties as well?
>

> Hopefully 2.5.0 is out soon.
>
> Gintas
> MG>let me know

It is not necessary to deprecate libraries.properties, see eg Ivy which has
got version.properties recently.
In my current proposal (PR#54) I just put it into "attic" :-)

Gintas

Re: Use of org.hamcrest.Matchers

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.

________________________________
Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2018-04-22, Gintautas Grigelionis wrote:

> I wish we could replace fetch.xml with an Ivy equivalent :-)

Using that would be against the very spirit of Gump :-)

The spirit of Gump would force Hamcrest 2.x upon Ant, so thought it
already did.

Posted by Gintautas Grigelionis <g....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2018-04-22, Gintautas Grigelionis wrote:

> Hmm... are you sure that Gump has hamcrest-library?

No, you are correct. I was under the impression it was using Hamcrest
2.x while it was not - Hamcrest 2.x only contains a single jar and if I
had looked close enough I would have seen the Matchers class is still
there inside the gradle built jar.

Gump didn't provide the hamcrest-library but should start doing so with
the next run.

Thanks

Posted by Gintautas Grigelionis <g....@gmail.com>.
Hmm... are you sure that Gump has hamcrest-library? By the looks of it, the
classpath contains antlr 3 and bcel 5...

Gintas