Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by TBrowder <tb...@cox.net> on 2004/03/18 11:17:49 UTC

Proposed New Feature (Revision Aliases)

Let me give one more argument for this feature--size:

When a repository has lots of modules, and each module has lots of
tags, the current deisgn of subversion is such that the directory tree
is very busy.

Our main CVS repository for our deliverable has over 100 modules, each
with multiple tags to stamp key history points in development.  That
seems to me to be a major limitation of the subversion method of
tagging:  the ugliness and confusion of the directory tree.

And the point made aboout CVS not preventing tags from being moved,
that's strictly true, but only because security is so loose in it.

Tom Browder

Re: Proposed New Feature (Revision Aliases)

Posted by Florent Guiliani <fg...@perinfo.com>.
and why not organize your repository like this:

/core
       /trunk
       /tags
       /branches
/module1
       /trunk
       /tags
       /branches
/module2
       /trunk
       /tags
       /branches

SVN users must read SVN book : http://svnbook.red-bean.com/book/

Florent,

Posted by "Brian W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@red-bean.com>.

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
TBrowder wrote:
> Let me give one more argument for this feature--size:
>
> When a repository has lots of modules, and each module has lots of
> tags, the current deisgn of subversion is such that the directory tree
> is very busy.
>
> Our main CVS repository for our deliverable has over 100 modules, each
> with multiple tags to stamp key history points in development.  That
> seems to me to be a major limitation of the subversion method of
> tagging:  the ugliness and confusion of the directory tree.

You realize nothing binds you to having all tags directly under a tags dir
in the repository, right? So if you want your directory tree to be tidier,
why not create various subdirs within tags, each of which holds a different
category of tags?

And anyway, if the svn directory tree is 'busy', doesn't that mean that the
list of tags in cvs is equally 'busy'?

Max.

Re: Proposed New Feature (Revision Aliases)

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 05:17:49AM -0600, TBrowder wrote:
> Let me give one more argument for this feature--size:
>
> When a repository has lots of modules, and each module has lots of
> tags, the current deisgn of subversion is such that the directory tree
> is very busy.

Actually, I don't think so. You could easily set up your repository like
this:

  /tags/
    module1/
      releases/
        1.0.0/
	1.0.1/
      daily/
        snap-1003/
	snap-1004/
    module2/

There is nothing to say that all modules' tags must fall directly under
the tags/ directory. In fact, nothing even says you must have a directory
named "tags".

> Our main CVS repository for our deliverable has over 100 modules, each
> with multiple tags to stamp key history points in development.  That
> seems to me to be a major limitation of the subversion method of
> tagging:  the ugliness and confusion of the directory tree.

Then reorganize the directory :-)

Does the above suggestion meet your needs?

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/