Posted to users@sling.apache.org by Carl Hall <ca...@hallwaytech.com> on 2011/01/13 04:11:11 UTC

Re: AW: Sling+ModeShape

We (Sakai Project) are working to replace JCR with a non-JCR backend
(Cassandra and any JDBC; our mail list details the reasons and factors).
 While this isn't JackRabbit -> ModeShape (staying with JCR will be much
easier), we can certainly attest that changing the storage engine is
possible with some work.  The Sling code does a great job of decoupling
itself from the storage mechanism.

Re: Sling+ModeShape

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Alexander Klimetschek  wrote

> I agree, and I don't propose to take the resource API away. All I am
> saying is that it should be kept read-only.

Ok, let's agree that we disagree wrt to CRUD and Sling :) Especially as
the resource api already provides the update function - so basically
missing is just create and delete; while delete is easy, create is the
more difficult operation.

Regards
Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: Sling+ModeShape

Posted by Alexander Klimetschek <ak...@adobe.com>.
On 17.01.11 16:00, "Carsten Ziegeler" <cz...@apache.org> wrote:
>And with Sling's resource API you get an even simpler API on top of it :)
>
>At one point in time, we'll be able to do CRUD through the resource api,
>it's not much left to do there anyway and this will allow to write
>complete applications just based on the resource api. And developers
>will benefit from all the Sling features - In contrast to JCR which is
>an API, Sling is a framework with the aim to make developers live easier.

Yes, but we are talking specifically about the Sling Resource API here.
And so far that has been geared towards a read-only, small and efficient
API, that is easy to use. Which it implemented perfectly.

However, I strongly expect that adding write operations in the API will
make it "too" complex. Especially because then you open a whole new set of
wishes from all sides, which in the end will not give you a good API, I
think.

>I see a lot of benefits, use cases and scenarios where the current
>available (open source ) implementations are lacking functionality. In
>addition, I have use cases where I want to run Sling without a
>repository underneath or with several different repository mount at
>different locations in the resource tree.
>Just think about how easy it is to mount a file directory or resources
>from within a bundle into the resource tree - this works today. Of
>course this is doable from within a repository, but especially when I
>think about OSGi resources it seems like the wrong approach :)

I agree, and I don't propose to take the resource API away. All I am
saying is that it should be kept read-only.

Regards,
Alex

--
Alexander Klimetschek

Re: Sling+ModeShape

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Alexander Klimetschek  wrote
> On 14.01.11 22:33, "Carl Hall" <ca...@hallwaytech.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 2:47 AM, Carsten Ziegeler
>> <cz...@apache.org>wrote:
>>> We have more features on our list for the resource resolver
>>> (factory/provider) which would allow to create, update and delete
>>> resources as well (I think there is a wiki page regarding this). So if
>>> you need something in this area, maybe it's now a good time to address
>>> these things
>>
>> The resource resolver and resource provider have been invaluable to us.
>> The
>> resource layer in general has made our work much easier.
>
> Please note that the current value of the resource API over the JCR API is
> only that it is simpler, thus more quickly to implement with some custom
> backend. If more and more is added to the Resource API, especially all the
> complexities of write operations, this value will be completely lost, and
> I would urge everyone doing so to implement the needed subset of the JCR
> API instead.
>
> Federation/virtual mounting (which is another useful feature of the
> resource API) can also be done with the JCR API as modeshape shows or
> something that we have in our proprietary CRX repository here at Adobe/Day.
>
> It all just boils down to the development effort... but with JCR you get a
> well-though out standard.

And with Sling's resource API you get an even simpler API on top of it :)

At one point in time, we'll be able to do CRUD through the resource api,
it's not much left to do there anyway and this will allow to write
complete applications just based on the resource api. And developers
will benefit from all the Sling features - In contrast to JCR which is
an API, Sling is a framework with the aim to make developers live easier.

I see a lot of benefits, use cases and scenarios where the current
available (open source ) implementations are lacking functionality. In
addition, I have use cases where I want to run Sling without a
repository underneath or with several different repository mount at
different locations in the resource tree.
Just think about how easy it is to mount a file directory or resources
from within a bundle into the resource tree - this works today. Of
course this is doable from within a repository, but especially when I
think about OSGi resources it seems like the wrong approach :)

I don't see the Sling API competing with the JCR API - as I said, Sling
is framework :)

Regards
Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: Sling+ModeShape

Posted by Alexander Klimetschek <ak...@adobe.com>.
On 14.01.11 22:33, "Carl Hall" <ca...@hallwaytech.com> wrote:

>On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 2:47 AM, Carsten Ziegeler
><cz...@apache.org>wrote:
>>We have more features on our list for the resource resolver
>> (factory/provider) which would allow to create, update and delete
>> resources as well (I think there is a wiki page regarding this). So if
>> you need something in this area, maybe it's now a good time to address
>> these things
>
>The resource resolver and resource provider have been invaluable to us.
>The
>resource layer in general has made our work much easier.

Please note that the current value of the resource API over the JCR API is
only that it is simpler, thus more quickly to implement with some custom
backend. If more and more is added to the Resource API, especially all the
complexities of write operations, this value will be completely lost, and
I would urge everyone doing so to implement the needed subset of the JCR
API instead.

Federation/virtual mounting (which is another useful feature of the
resource API) can also be done with the JCR API as modeshape shows or
something that we have in our proprietary CRX repository here at Adobe/Day.

It all just boils down to the development effort... but with JCR you get a
well-though out standard.

Just my 2 cents,
Alex

--
Alexander Klimetschek

Re: Sling+ModeShape

Posted by Carl Hall <ca...@hallwaytech.com>.
Hey Carsten,

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 2:47 AM, Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Carl Hall  wrote
> > We (Sakai Project) are working to replace JCR with a non-JCR backend
> > (Cassandra and any JDBC; our mail list details the reasons and factors).
>
> I'm just curious, can you please give some direct pointers to the
> discussion?

I think Ian's blog posts [1][2] best detail what we ran into.  In short, our
usage started going outside the intended usage of JCR.  We found that we
have a lot of data editors and the amount of ACL changes we make are not
conducive to using JackRabbit.  JR worked great until we tried to destroy it
with a couple hundred threads writing data.  Reads looked good the whole
time but writing that much made JR sad.  I spoke with Ard of JR at ApacheCon
and in email about our usage.  He wasn't surprised of our findings given our
amount of writes.

1 http://blog.tfd.co.uk/2010/10/17/wrong-content-model/
2 http://blog.tfd.co.uk/2010/10/15/jackrabbit-performance/

Re: Sling+ModeShape

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Carl Hall  wrote

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: AW: Sling+ModeShape

Posted by Alessandro Novarini <a....@sourcesense.com>.
Hello,

Thanks for your feedback.
We started yesterday working on this project, and we still think the integration won't be too hard to get in reasonable time.
Also, as a "plan B", we think it could be a good compromise going to a jcr repository (modeshape) connected to sling using jndi/rmi, since these two options are already available when you configure sling with a proper url, if we don't get it wrong.
This just in case the attempt to embed the repository will fail, think that as I said we hope it won't happen (fingers crossed).

Thanks again
Ale

RE: AW: Sling+ModeShape

Posted by Mike Müller <mi...@mysign.ch>.
Hi Ale

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. I will have a look at it.
I hope we hear more from you as you make progress.

best regards
mike

Re: AW: Sling+ModeShape

Posted by Alessandro Novarini <a....@sourcesense.com>.
Hello everyone,

Re: AW: Sling+ModeShape

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@adobe.com>.
Hi

Re: AW: Sling+ModeShape

Posted by Mike Moulton <mi...@meltmedia.com>.
Alessandro,

I'm curious, does your group have any plans on open-sourcing your ModeShape server bundle or donating it back to the ASF?

The reason I ask is my group is about to kick of a new project and we were going to evaluate the integration of ModeShape within Sling. Didn't want to reinvent the wheel if we don't have to.

Regards,
Mike

Re: AW: Sling+ModeShape

Posted by anjan <po...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ale, I saw the project at https://github.com/sourcesense/stone and would
like to know whether the issues mentioned were resolved or not.  Were you
able to use Modeshape in Sling finally?
- Anjan

Re: AW: Sling+ModeShape

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 11:55 AM, Alessandro Novarini
<a....@sourcesense.com> wrote:
> ...We have plans about releasing the bundle, code and patches (the last ones for ModeShape) as soon as we can.
> Please note that the integration is still not working, though progresses are made day by day....

Note that Apache extras might be a good place for that, see
http://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/hosting/ and
http://blogs.apache.org/foundation/entry/the_apache_software_foundation_launches

(unless you already have a place to publish your code)

-Bertrand

Re: AW: Sling+ModeShape

Posted by Alessandro Novarini <a....@sourcesense.com>.
Hi all,

We have plans about releasing the bundle, code and patches (the last ones for ModeShape) as soon as we can.
Please note that the integration is still not working, though progresses are made day by day.

We're willing to open our work as soon as we finish what we are being paid to do (few weeks left).

If you need to start sooner than that, feel free to ask here or privately for any help we can provide.

Thanks a lot
Ale

RE: AW: Sling+ModeShape

Posted by Mike Müller <mi...@mysign.ch>.
Hi Ale

Re: AW: Sling+ModeShape

Posted by Alessandro Novarini <a....@sourcesense.com>.
Hi Vidar,

Re: AW: Sling+ModeShape

Posted by Vidar Ramdal <vi...@idium.no>.

Re: AW: Sling+ModeShape

Posted by Alessandro Novarini <a....@sourcesense.com>.
Sorry, as usual, I forgot the reference...

[1] http://www.jboss.org/picketbox

Regards
Ale

Re: AW: Sling+ModeShape