Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/10 00:24:53 UTC

how to get information out about non-Apache builds/packages

Do we want to do something to make folks aware of non-Apache packs for AOO
(3.4.0 and beyond).

I don't know how this has been done in the past, if at all.

Right now I know there is a download on freebsd.org, and Wolf has made a
Ubuntu build on ??? (I need to track this down)

Any ideas on this in terms of collection and placement?

MzK

 Helping you out."
                            -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette

Re: how to get information out about non-Apache builds/packages

Posted by Wolf Halton <wo...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 6:24 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Do we want to do something to make folks aware of non-Apache packs for AOO
> (3.4.0 and beyond).
>
> I don't know how this has been done in the past, if at all.
>
> Right now I know there is a download on freebsd.org, and Wolf has made a
> Ubuntu build on ??? (I need to track this down)
>

> Any ideas on this in terms of collection and placement?

> MzK
>
> "Well, life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
>  And life has a funny way of helping you out
>  Helping you out."
>                            -- "Ironic", Alanis Morissette

Clarification: Wolf started a team to package AOO for Ubuntu.  We are new
at it and are not entirely done.

Wolf

Open-Source Software in Libraries - http://FOSS4Lib.org
Apache Open Office Developer wolfhalton@apache.org

Re: how to get information out about non-Apache builds/packages

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
On Thu, 2012-05-10 at 09:00 -0700, Kay Schenk wrote:
> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 6:24 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Do we want to do something to make folks aware of non-Apache packs for
> > AOO
> > > (3.4.0 and beyond).
> > >
> > > I don't know how this has been done in the past, if at all.
> > >
> > > Right now I know there is a download on freebsd.org, and Wolf has made a
> > > Ubuntu build on ??? (I need to track this down)
> > >

> > > Any ideas on this in terms of collection and placement?
> > >

> > Some other Apache projects list derived products on their websites,
> > with a suitable disclaimer.   See, for example what Subversion does:
> >
> > http://subversion.apache.org/packages.html
> >

> ok, thanks for this bit of information...
>

> > I think this is an important part of encouraging the ecosystem.  A
> > parent should be proud of his children's accomplishment, and not be
> > jealous.   So we want products based on AOO code to be popular, very
> > popular.  That is what success looks like,
> >
> > But I don't think we need to search the web for products to list.  But
> > if someone requests this we can discuss on a case-by-case basis.
> >

> I didn't mean to imply this. I meant dealing with the packagings we are
> sort of already aware of from list members here.
>

> > But where to put it?   It could be a link from the download/index.html
> > to another page where we maintain that information.
> >

> That sounds like a good idea to me...maybe even as a separate sub-category
> a la "Additional Resources" so it's easy to spot.
>

> > We'd probably want to have some standards for how these are listed.
> > Otherwise one vendor wants a 50x50 icon, and the next wants a 75x75
> > and then the next wants 200x200 in order to show up better.   We need
> > to be fair. So that probably means the listings need to meet some
> > requirement for length and content.
> >

> > For example:
> >
> > 1) product must be based on Apache OpenOffice
> >
> > 2) If product uses Apache trademarks they must be used properly, i.e.,
> > permission where needed, attribution,etc.
> >
> > 3) product listing per some specification (see Subversion for one style)
> >

> yes...
>
> I'm making an assumption based on what you're saying here, that you think
> it would be better put up as an actual web page, where we could review
> entries, rather than put up this new page as a wiki page. Yes?

I would agree - it's not something I would want to make self-service, as
the wiki is, it would need to be gated so a web page for sure, IMO.

//drew

Re: how to get information out about non-Apache builds/packages

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 12:00 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 6:24 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Do we want to do something to make folks aware of non-Apache packs for
>> AOO
>> > (3.4.0 and beyond).
>> >
>> > I don't know how this has been done in the past, if at all.
>> >
>> > Right now I know there is a download on freebsd.org, and Wolf has made a
>> > Ubuntu build on ??? (I need to track this down)
>> >

>> > Any ideas on this in terms of collection and placement?
>> >

>> Some other Apache projects list derived products on their websites,
>> with a suitable disclaimer.   See, for example what Subversion does:
>>
>> http://subversion.apache.org/packages.html
>>

> ok, thanks for this bit of information...
>

>> I think this is an important part of encouraging the ecosystem.  A
>> parent should be proud of his children's accomplishment, and not be
>> jealous.   So we want products based on AOO code to be popular, very
>> popular.  That is what success looks like,
>>
>> But I don't think we need to search the web for products to list.  But
>> if someone requests this we can discuss on a case-by-case basis.
>>

> I didn't mean to imply this. I meant dealing with the packagings we are
> sort of already aware of from list members here.
>

>> But where to put it?   It could be a link from the download/index.html
>> to another page where we maintain that information.
>>

> That sounds like a good idea to me...maybe even as a separate sub-category
> a la "Additional Resources" so it's easy to spot.
>

>> We'd probably want to have some standards for how these are listed.
>> Otherwise one vendor wants a 50x50 icon, and the next wants a 75x75
>> and then the next wants 200x200 in order to show up better.   We need
>> to be fair. So that probably means the listings need to meet some
>> requirement for length and content.
>>

>> For example:
>>
>> 1) product must be based on Apache OpenOffice
>>
>> 2) If product uses Apache trademarks they must be used properly, i.e.,
>> permission where needed, attribution,etc.
>>
>> 3) product listing per some specification (see Subversion for one style)
>>

> yes...
>
> I'm making an assumption based on what you're saying here, that you think
> it would be better put up as an actual web page, where we could review
> entries, rather than put up this new page as a wiki page. Yes?

Yes, I think we need to approve whatever is listed.  Otherwise, what
would prevent someone from adding a listing for a modified version of
OpenOffice that installs spyware on a user's machine?

This is easiest to do with a webpage, I think.  We're talking about
what?    3 or so initial listings, maybe a few others over time?  It
will never be a real "high rate of change" page.

-Rob

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.