Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2013/06/06 23:21:03 UTC

Draft blog post: When will OpenOffice version X be released?

https://blogs.apache.org/preview/OOo/?previewEntry=when_will_openoffice_version_x

Since we get this question frequently, I thought it would be good to
have a canonical response we can point people to.

It needs some editing, but mainly looking for content feedback initially.

-Rob

Re: Draft blog post: When will OpenOffice version X be released?

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Thu, 6 Jun 2013 17:46:43 -0400
Donald Whytock <dw...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 5:21 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>

> > https://blogs.apache.org/preview/OOo/?previewEntry=when_will_openoffice_version_x
> >
> > Since we get this question frequently, I thought it would be good to
> > have a canonical response we can point people to.
> >
> > It needs some editing, but mainly looking for content feedback initially.
> >

> There's a comma I'd move, but otherwise the only real comment I have is
> that I'd use N and N+1 instead of N-1 and N.  I personally think that'd be
> more intuitively understandable to laypeople.
>
> I gather this or a permalink to it will go in the FAQ?
>
> Don

4th paragraph "two release" > "two releases"

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Draft blog post: When will OpenOffice version X be released?

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 5:51 AM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jun 8, 2013, at 5:34 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>
> > On 06/06/2013 Rob Weir wrote:
> >>
> https://blogs.apache.org/preview/OOo/?previewEntry=when_will_openoffice_version_x
> >> Since we get this question frequently, I thought it would be good to
> >> have a canonical response we can point people to.
> >
> > It's good but I'd add pointers so that people who want to get involved
> can do so.
> >
> > It is time to give more visibility to development snapshots, for
> example: a link to
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Development+Snapshot+Builds#DevelopmentSnapshotBuilds-AOOSnapshotfullsetswould help in getting more feedback. Or a link to any QA resource leading
> to it. We don't want to make them too visible since they are unofficial,
> but hiding them too much does not help either, especially when the release
> comes closer.
>
> We can discuss developer snapshots on list, but I think it is outside of
> ASF policy to publish URLs elsewhere - like in Blog posts.

yes...I think we have told this a few times...no public announcements of
"development" products

> We should point those interested in development to the dev ML and then on
> the ML point them to development resources ad hoc.
>

> > Same for translations. It would be good to include a link to
> > http://openoffice.apache.org/translate.html
>
> Definitely.
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>

> > Regards,
> >  Andrea.

MzK

"You can't believe one thing and do another.
 What you believe and what you do are the same thing."
                             -- Leonard Peltier

Re: Draft blog post: When will OpenOffice version X be released?

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 5:35 AM, Hans Zybura <hz...@zybura.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> in case someone will still listen to me...
>
> 1. In my eyes, the essence of the blog post is a denial of taking responsibility, expressed on a highly abstracted level. The question at hand is concrete, not "version X". Even if the answer is not clear, you can inform the interested reader about a (revision of a)  planned schedule.

I don't think one needs to search for an ulterior motive here.  The
post is exactly what it says it is.  It is a post that we can use as a
stock response for when we get such questions, to educate our users
about how we develop software and why we do not give specific release
dates in advance.

> 2. May I politely point out again, that there is a website
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/OOOUSERS/aoo-40-release-planning.html
>
> containing a "Proposed Release Schedule"?
>
> Of course I don't take such a schedule for absolutely granted, but it *is* a published schedule. Google search "release aoo 4.0" first rank. For anyone with a busy work life not following the mailing list, random blog posts, twitter, facebook, or anything like that,  this seems to be *the* point of easy to find, seemingly official  information. With a random multitude of information channels, an "outsider" has to rely on something stable, where yesterday's information is not hidden behind newer entries.

We have a lot of stuff on the wiki.  That doesn't make it an
officially published schedule.

And remember, even if we do not give specific release date guidance,
we still need, for internal use, a rough schedule to coordinate our
own efforts, for our own planning purposes.  So we will have rough
schedules on the wiki.  We know the limitations of a proposed schedule
and know that it is merely a very rough estimate, but it is useful.
We don't have a private wiki for only internal use, so there is always
some risk that a project outsider stumbles on such a page and fails to
understand what it means.

> If plans are changed, I assume that the information on that website is changed. Does this assumption has some logic to it?

If you believed so then it had logic for you.  But based on what I
said above, maybe your view on this changes now?

> If so, why is it not done? Because in an open source project no one is responsible for something he/she doesn't *feel* to be responsible for?

Those who are active in the project know with rather high precision
where exactly the release is, based on discussions on the dev list.
Those who are not active in the project will have less insight.  But I
don't feel responsible for publishing a public day-by-day reckoning of
progress on AOO 4.0.  In fact I don't think that is a productive use
of anyone's time.  Thus a blog post to answer these kinds of questions
now and for the future.

Regards,

-Rob

Posted by Hans Zybura <hz...@zybura.com>.
Hi,

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.
2013/6/6 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>

> https://blogs.apache.org/preview/OOo/?previewEntry=when_will_openoffice_version_x
>
> Since we get this question frequently, I thought it would be good to
> have a canonical response we can point people to.

+1!

> It needs some editing, but mainly looking for content feedback initially.

I like it! Clear and to the point. I'm sure some people that use a
different development method will take it bad, but that cannot be helped.
As a friend of mine always say: "I'm only responsible for what I say not
for what others understand".

Regards
Ricardo