Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Lefty Leverenz <le...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/15 06:30:10 UTC

Where's the old HCat 0.5.0 documentation?

The wiki has many links to the old HCatalog and WebHCat documentation, but
they're all broken (except two to the HCat wiki).  Was this a decision or a
slip-up?

Examples:

HCatalog wikidoc <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/HCatalog>

   - "...  chapters from the HCatalog 0.5.0
documentation<http://hive.apache.org/docs/hcat_r0.5.0/index.html>
     ..."
   - "Old HCatalog manual (HCatalog 0.5.0): HCatalog Table
Management<http://hive.apache.org/docs/hcat_r0.5.0/index.html>
   "

WebHCat wikidoc <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/WebHCat>

   - "... WebHCat chapters from the HCatalog 0.5.0
documentation<http://hive.apache.org/docs/hcat_r0.5.0/rest.html>
     ..."
   - "Old WebHCat manual (HCatalog 0.5.0): HCatalog REST
API<http://hive.apache.org/docs/hcat_r0.5.0/rest.html>
   "

Should I remove all of them?  Aren't some people still using HCat 0.5.0?

-- Lefty

Re: Where's the old HCat 0.5.0 documentation?

Posted by Lefty Leverenz <le...@gmail.com>.
Ping.

-- Lefty

Posted by Lefty Leverenz <le...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Brock, that helps a lot.

Now I have another question:  Is that the right place for the non-javadoc
HCat 0.5.0 documentation?  If I couldn't find it, others will have the same
problem.  The Javadoc page <http://hive.apache.org/javadoc.html> lists Hive
0.12, 0.11, 0.10, and HCat 0.5 javadocs but then the HCat 0.5
link<http://hive.apache.org/javadocs/hcat-r0.5.0/index.html>goes to
xdocs as well as javadocs.

Perhaps all this needs is new labels.  Something like "HCatalog 0.5.0
Manual and Javadocs"?

Also, the HCat menu doesn't say javadocs anywhere, it just has "API Docs"
at the bottom which isn't as obvious as it might be.  So I suggest we
change the menu to show three major sections:

   - HCatalog 0.5.0 Javadocs (put it first, since it's linked from Javadocs)
   - HCatalog 0.5.0 Manual
   - WebHCat 0.5.0 Manual

We could also change the menu on the Hive home page to say "Javadoc and Old
Manuals" or some such.

What do you think?

-- Lefty

Posted by Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com>.