Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2011/03/21 02:12:16 UTC

If there is a win32 2.4 build...

It seems overdue to bump to expat 2.0.1.

The attached seems to be the delta we (win and netware) likely care about
to resolve significant defects in 2.0.1 (straight from their cvs tree,
ignoring highly unusual platforms, and gratuitous whitespace changes).

My inclination is to build for 2.4 using the 'stock' expat .dll of this
plus 2.0.1 base distribution, irrespective of the sources shipped in
srclib/apr-util/xml/expat since 1.95 is far from current.  This is likely
to make interop easier for anyone working with modern perl/python/php/etc.
I would also jump up to openssl 1.0.0x (current), zlib 1.2.5 (although
I detest its 64 bit off_t handling, which is a seperate discussion already
started on another list) and drop apr_iconv altogether, which means also
dropping the compilation of mod_charset_lite - I believe no other modules
would be affected by this change.

Comments?

Re: If there is a win32 2.4 build...

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On 3/20/2011 8:20 PM, Guenter Knauf wrote:
> Am 21.03.2011 02:12, schrieb William A. Rowe Jr.:
>> dropping the compilation of mod_charset_lite - I believe no other modules
>> would be affected by this change.
> not even that - I build it fine against OS shipping iconv on NetWare, and would like to
> keep it since it can solve some charset issues for autoindex ...

And so you should.

Also, if expat isn't a shipping component (or even if it is and you have
some pull) take a look at the 2.0.1 patch I suggested.

I'm strictly speaking of win32 with respect to apr returning 'we have no
iconv, we have no xlate', other platforms should make that call based on
feature tests, and for the vast majority, system iconv is fine.

Re: If there is a win32 2.4 build...

Posted by Guenter Knauf <fu...@apache.org>.
Am 21.03.2011 02:20, schrieb Guenter Knauf:
> Am 21.03.2011 02:12, schrieb William A. Rowe Jr.:
>> dropping the compilation of mod_charset_lite - I believe no other modules
>> would be affected by this change.
> not even that - I build it fine against OS shipping iconv on NetWare,
> and would like to keep it since it can solve some charset issues for
> autoindex ...
whoops! not looked closely enough at the subject - k, if only for win32
then it depends on apr-iconv, yes ...

G.

Re: If there is a win32 2.4 build...

Posted by Guenter Knauf <fu...@apache.org>.
Am 21.03.2011 02:12, schrieb William A. Rowe Jr.:
> dropping the compilation of mod_charset_lite - I believe no other modules
> would be affected by this change.
not even that - I build it fine against OS shipping iconv on NetWare,
and would like to keep it since it can solve some charset issues for
autoindex ...

Gün.