Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Hernani Mourão <hm...@netcabo.pt> on 2004/02/02 02:39:59 UTC

deploying parameters using catalina.ant

hi,
is there anybody out there that can help me on this subject. This is my 3rd
message. Am asking something wrong?

I am trying to use the command org.apache.catalina.ant.DeployTask in ANT to
deploy an application into TomCat using a context xml file. It seems it is
mandatory to issue the path parameter but with a context xml file that
should not be necessary.

I looked on the Tomcat site and I could not find anything on this topic. Can
anyone help me?
Where can I find information about the catalina-ant.jar?

my best regards,
Hernâni

Re: deploying parameters using catalina.ant

Posted by Barry Kimelman <be...@mts.net>.
 I myself was just recently able to successfully install application into
Tomcat 5.0.16 using the ANT utility.

1st you need to properly setup your build.xml file (a sample can be obtained
from the Tomcat web-site).

Then you need to modify the sample build.xml file to suit your needs.
    * modify the "<project ...........>" description to describe your
application
    * modify the <property .............> descriptions to suit your
application and Tomcat environment :
       eg. set a value for "app.name" , "app.version" , "catalina.home"

I found that I also had to modify the value for WAR file description on the
install" target description
in order for the "install" to work properly. For my case when I changed the
WAR description to
               war=file://${dist.home}/${app.name}-${app.version}.war

I was successfully able to execute an install.

Also you should define a "build.properties" file in your home directory that
at the very least defines values for the properties :

                      manager.username
                      manager.password
                      manager.url

You should also modify the "tomcat-users.xml" file in the "conf" directory
og your Tomcat installation.
You should define "roles" for "admin" and "manager".
You should also define a "user" that has the "admin" and "manager" roles
assigned to him/her.

 After all this you should be able to run the "ant install" command to
deploy your application.

I hope all this helps.