Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org> on 2015/04/08 12:19:41 UTC

Re: Scatter / gather

> I can see how both might be useful. No objections here.
>
> So in addition to my initial plan, I added some state information (NIO2
thinks it is a good idea to hide it), as well as flexibility for the
completion handler call (NIO2 calls it as soon as it read or wrote
anything, leading in most cases to boilerplate code to handle incomplete
operations).

There's also no internal buffering and added sync since the caller should
use what it needs there, the idea is to preparse the protocol in the IO on
read and avoid dumb buffering copies on write. OTOH, with encryption the
benefits go away to some extent (the NIO2 SSL would be improved though,
it's not really representative at the moment) and the "test" will be if
this is useful for HTTP/2. In that case it could be generalized, otherwise
there will be no point keeping it.

Rémy