Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2005/07/17 23:49:06 UTC

state of play: beta-1

Hi all,

Ok, I'm going to try and get things organised so everyone can have a
decent idea of how we are tracking towards a release.

Below are the things I'd classify as new features and that risk making
breaking changes that must be included in beta-1 or postponed to 2.1.
The plan is to get these done along with as many small bugfixes as
possible, then release beta-1. From there, we fix things not working
properly, round out the plugins and documentation and march to 2.0 final.

Thanks in advance to everyone for your help! If anyone would like to
work on something in particular (or even get started contributing with
something small) and would like some directions as to what would be most
useful, please let us know. In particular, we could use a good, finished
plugin development guide so that others starting to write plugins have
something to work off. The info is all there on the site and Confluence,
but needs to be put together.

Please let me know if you think the list is incomplete or think the
priorities are not right. I'll list them in (my) order of importance.

1) version inheritence, aggregation, release management and the
universal source directory

More details in an email to follow - these all need some clarification
and changes to make multiple projects easier to work with.
Relevant issues: MNG-521, MNG-576, MNG-95, MNG-384, MNG-262, MNG-249,
MNG-548, MNG-250

2) Version ranges and remaining artifact changes

Rated higher than others as it will impact repository management
Relevant issues: MNG-505, MNG-313, MNG-456

3) repository management and metadata

More details in an email to follow - addressing the problem of quality
of metadata at release time and how changes affect users
Relevant issues: MNG-507, MNG-461

4) Plugin release management

Something more for ourselves but I'd like to ensure old releases
continue to work with a new core and new releases work with the old core
(to the extent of required-maven-version specifies). This means more
integration tests for these plugins and care about not making breaking
API changes.

5) Tests

This question was discussed by Vincent and Trygve while I was away - but
I already sent a mail detailing thoughts that got no feedback. I'll
resend with more info.
Relevant issue: MNG-475, MNG-591

6) Lifecycle quirks

Here we have symmetry using OGNL (allowing easier feedback of changes -
possibly a 2.1 thing), guarded mojo execution (also 2.1?)
Relevant issues: MNG-193, MNG-125, MNG-598

7) POM changes

Just the deprecation stuff above and this "required-maven-version". I
think this is essential to have in now.
Relevant issue: MNG-404

8) Secure storage of passwords

Since this is an addition only (no backwards compat issues), I don't
mind sneaking this into beta-2.
Relevant issue: MNG-553

9) i18n of plugin documentation

Inclined to move to 2.1
Relevant issue: MNG-570

Everything else seems to be bugfixes or plugin related.

Cheers,
Brett