Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Dhwani Katagade <dh...@persistent.co.in> on 2016/12/29 17:46:30 UTC

Some questions about providing corrections to documentation.

Hi,

_Observations:_

While going through the design documentation I noticed a minor error of
duplication in points 4 and 5 here
https://kafka.apache.org/documentation/#design_compactionguarantees.
When I looked up the files in git, I see the duplication in all of the
below files in kafka-site repo

https://github.com/apache/kafka-site/blob/asf-site/081/design.html
https://github.com/apache/kafka-site/blob/asf-site/082/design.html
https://github.com/apache/kafka-site/blob/asf-site/090/design.html
https://github.com/apache/kafka-site/blob/asf-site/0100/design.html
https://github.com/apache/kafka-site/blob/asf-site/0101/design.html

And also in the following branches under kafka repo
https://github.com/apache/kafka/blob/0.9.0/docs/design.html
https://github.com/apache/kafka/blob/0.10.0/docs/design.html
https://github.com/apache/kafka/blob/0.10.1/docs/design.html

But the same is corrected under trunk here
https://github.com/apache/kafka/blob/trunk/docs/design.html

_Questions:_

 1. If I have to provide a patch/PR to cleanup this documentation error,
    should I provide the fix in files corresponding to all the versions
    under kafka-site?
 2. When the next release happens, as I understand, a new directory will
    be added under kafka-site:asf-site. Since this would come from
    kafka:trunk it will have the correction. Is my understanding correct?
 3. As I understand, older branches under kafka repo are release
    branches, and hence we should not make any new changes under the
    docs directory on these branches. Is my understanding correct?
 4. As I understand, this fix does not require a JIRA issue to be
    logged. Is my understanding correct?

Thanks in advance for the clarifications.

-dhwani

DISCLAIMER
==========

Re: Some questions about providing corrections to documentation.

Posted by Dhwani Katagade <dh...@persistent.co.in>.
Happy New Year Team :-),

Could you please look at https://github.com/apache/kafka-site/pull/38
and let me know if this looks good. This is my first PR and I am just
checking to see if I got the process right.

thanks
-dhwani

DISCLAIMER
==========

Re: Some questions about providing corrections to documentation.

Posted by Dhwani Katagade <dh...@persistent.co.in>.
Thanks Gouzhang,

> [...]

>>     docs directory on these branches. Is my understanding correct?
>> 4. As I understand, this fix does not require a JIRA issue to be
>>     logged. Is my understanding correct?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for the clarifications.
>>
>> -dhwani
>>

>> DISCLAIMER
>> ==========
>> This e-mail may contain privileged and confidential information which is
>> the property of Persistent Systems Ltd. It is intended only for the use of
>> the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the
>> intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, retain, copy, print,
>> distribute or use this message. If you have received this communication in
>> error, please notify the sender and delete all copies of this message.
>> Persistent Systems Ltd. does not accept any liability for virus infected

DISCLAIMER

Re: Some questions about providing corrections to documentation.

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Hello Dhwani,

--
-- Guozhang