Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Arunkumar Janarthanan <ar...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/27 15:36:22 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache Server status page shows uneven number of requests across load balanced web servers

Hello All,

We have apache servers running on RedHat Linux physical servers, all 4
servers are balanced by Citrix Netscaler 8.1 load balancer with round robin
weight load sharing algorithm.

However when I check the server status page to find the number of requests
are served by each Apache server is showing uneven load / number of requests
being processed by each Apache.

I notice the load always getting processed by two specific Apache instances,
here are the configuration details.

Attached here the server status screen shot page of all 4 web servers.

[root@web bin]# ./apachectl -version

Server version: Apache/2.2.6 (Unix)

Server built:   Sep 26 2007 11:18:50

[root@web bin]#

Operating System:

Linux Host1 2.4.21-53.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Nov 14 03:54:12 EST 2007 i686 i686
i386 GNU/Linux

Hardware configuration are same for all 4 physical Linux servers.

Please advice.

Best Regards,

Arun J

Re: [users@httpd] Apache Server status page shows uneven number of requests across load balanced web servers

Posted by Arunkumar Janarthanan <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hi Peter,

The load balancer set for round robin minumweight based, that the request
transferred to the Apache instace has minimum connections.

Best Regards,
Arun J

Posted by PM...@nypl.org.
What is the persistence setting on the Load Balancers? Is it different if
persistence is turned off competely? Weighting servers will throw this off
completely.

Thanks-

Peter J. Milanese, Senior Systems Engineer
Information Technology Group
The New York Public Library
peterm@nypl.org - 212.621.0203

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Arunkumar Janarthanan <ar...@gmail.com>                                                                                              |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |users@httpd.apache.org                                                                                                                            |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |01/28/2010 12:41 PM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>

Posted by Arunkumar Janarthanan <ar...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Arunkumar Janarthanan <ar...@gmail.com>.
Gary,

Posted by Gary Smith <ga...@holdstead.com>.
Arun,

Posted by Arunkumar Janarthanan <ar...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Gary,

Posted by Mark Watts <m....@eris.qinetiq.com>.
On Wed, 2010-01-27 at 09:47 -0500, Arunkumar Janarthanan wrote:
> Hi Nilesh,
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> I have already checked this with Load balancer support found the
> requests are getting sitributed eventually from Netscaler end.
>
> So was chekcing if this could be an issue or known behaviour with
> Apache.

If the load-balancer is doing true Round Robin, then 1/N requests will
be sent to each server.
If you are not seeing that, then the load-balancer isn't sending the
requests in the first place.

For example, I have an Apache 2.x proxy/balancer here
and /balancer-status is telling me that exactly 1/2 of my requests are
going to each of my 2 back-end servers.

If you could paste some actual numbers, that would help.

Mark.

--
Mark Watts BSc RHCE MBCS
Senior Systems Engineer, Managed Services Manpower

Re: [users@httpd] Apache Server status page shows uneven number of requests across load balanced web servers

Posted by Arunkumar Janarthanan <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nilesh,

Posted by Nilesh Govindarajan <li...@itech7.com>.