Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com> on 2008/07/25 18:05:47 UTC

Question About Facilities

In the Data Model Resource Book, chapter 2, it shows that facilities can
be made up of other facilities. For example, a building facility can be
made up of floor facilities, and the floor facilities can be made up of
room facilities.

I don't see how this is done in OFBiz. Where do I make the connection?

-Adrian

Re: Question About Facilities

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
I am always patient when I am not doing it. :)
let me know if I can help.

Adrian Crum sent the following on 7/25/2008 12:55 PM:

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
how would you implement a building with multiple floors and a floor with
multiple rooms
seems a way to have one to many would be necessary.

David E Jones sent the following on 7/25/2008 12:05 PM:

> This is a good question, and I'm surprised as I look at the data model
> to see no Facility to Facility relationship. It was probably years ago,
> but I thought there was a simple parentFacilityId or something on the
> Facility entity that would implement a simple hierarchy for Facilities.
>
> It would be interesting to go way back and see if this was ever there
> and what ultimately happened to it if it was, but for right now I'm okay
> with adding this.
>
> For Facility hierarchies I don't think we need a separate association
> entity, to implement a graph, or a non-strict hierarchy where a node can
> have multiple parents. A strict hierarchy should be fine for this, where
> each Facility has only one parent Facility because this is a constraint
> of their physical reality anyway.
>
> -David
>

> On Jul 25, 2008, at 11:06 AM, Adrian Crum wrote:
>
>> But that's not how it is structured in the book. Figure 2.11 shows a
>> facility being related to itself. It appears to me there needs to be a
>> parentFacilityId field.
>>
>> -Adrian
>>
>> BJ Freeman wrote:
>>> make a facilities
>>> like
>>> building
>>> floor

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
Thanks David! I agree with the strict hierarchy - that's how it's
modeled in the book.

I'll work on it.

-Adrian

David E Jones wrote:

> This is a good question, and I'm surprised as I look at the data model
> to see no Facility to Facility relationship. It was probably years ago,
> but I thought there was a simple parentFacilityId or something on the
> Facility entity that would implement a simple hierarchy for Facilities.
>
> It would be interesting to go way back and see if this was ever there
> and what ultimately happened to it if it was, but for right now I'm okay
> with adding this.
>
> For Facility hierarchies I don't think we need a separate association
> entity, to implement a graph, or a non-strict hierarchy where a node can
> have multiple parents. A strict hierarchy should be fine for this, where
> each Facility has only one parent Facility because this is a constraint
> of their physical reality anyway.
>
> -David
>

> On Jul 25, 2008, at 11:06 AM, Adrian Crum wrote:
>
>> But that's not how it is structured in the book. Figure 2.11 shows a
>> facility being related to itself. It appears to me there needs to be a
>> parentFacilityId field.
>>
>> -Adrian
>>
>> BJ Freeman wrote:
>>> make a facilities
>>> like
>>> building
>>> floor

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
That is in the groups

Adrian Crum sent the following on 7/25/2008 10:06 AM:

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
or atleast that is the way I did it

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
my figure is 2.10 so we have different versions

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
make a facilities

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.