Posted to dev@pivot.apache.org by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/17 00:35:21 UTC

Small things for the 1.4.1 release

Hi to all,
for the 1.4.1 release I'm planning to make the following little things
(sorry, time limited):

- I've seen the new feature in latest Tomcat 6.0.26 (just released)
for diagnosing memory leaks, tomorrow I'll try to run our Pivot
webapps to seen if something strange will be reported, just to ensure
that all works good ...

- take my (some months) code for DigestAuthentication (reviewed, test
included): is preferred a commit then review, or a jira zip attached
(or both) ?
- add missing pom files for remaining Pivot jars (tools, etc) ...
someone if working on it ?
- verify if add a pivot-minimal pom without the default skin (useful
in some cases), and maybe retrofit the default extending it, ok ?

- on pom for source jars, I don't know if I'll have time, so someone
is working on it ?

Ana a question:
I've seen that after the 1.4.1 we'll have the 2.0 release, but what do
you think on an (optional) other 1.4.x release, only for bug fixing
before revising all ?

What do you think ?

Bye,
Sandro

Re: Small things for the 1.4.1 release

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
> WTKXSerializer.java:81 Method
> org.apache.pivot.wtkx.WTKXSerializer$NamedObjectBindings.putAll(Map)
> makes inefficient use of keySet iterator instead of entrySet iterator

You can ignore this one.

> Spinner.java:203 Should
> org.apache.pivot.wtk.Spinner$SpinnerBindingListenerList be a _static_
> inner class?

Fixed - thanks.

Re: Small things for the 1.4.1 release

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
Don't worry about that - it's just a test app.

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
some small things found with Findbugs:

WTKXSerializer.java:81 Method
org.apache.pivot.wtkx.WTKXSerializer$NamedObjectBindings.putAll(Map)
makes inefficient use of keySet iterator instead of entrySet iterator

Spinner.java:203 Should
org.apache.pivot.wtk.Spinner$SpinnerBindingListenerList be a _static_
inner class?

Let me know if i have to fix them, at least the second so I can re-try
my commit permissions on SVN :-)

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Greg,

> That's a big class, and my guess is that we won't have time to get it done
> for 1.4.1.
yes, I agree with you, but my fear here is to forget it, release after
release ...

If there is something other with more priority I can help on it instead, for
example let me know if I can help in the maven stuff. Otherwise in the mean
time I'll try in local mode, and check with you before commit or post to
jira.

In any case, I'm planning (mid term) some experiments on another skin, so
the pivot-minimal pom (without the default skin) would be very useful.

> We may end up renaming 1.4.1 -> 1.5 before we release it, but yes, we may
> also do one or more bug fix releases between 1.5 and 2.0.
Good, my fear here is to give users the impression that Pivot is not so
stable (in API terms) that we (already) need a major rewrite, so one or more
1.5.x releases could help.

Posted by Greg Brown <gk...@mac.com>.
> - take my (some months) code for DigestAuthentication (reviewed, test
> included): is preferred a commit then review, or a jira zip attached
> (or both) ?

That's a big class, and my guess is that we won't have time to get it done for 1.4.1.

> - add missing pom files for remaining Pivot jars (tools, etc) ...
> someone if working on it ?
> - verify if add a pivot-minimal pom without the default skin (useful
> in some cases), and maybe retrofit the default extending it, ok ?
>
> - on pom for source jars, I don't know if I'll have time, so someone
> is working on it ?

This issue is currently assigned to me in JIRA. I am planning to review the patch Stephen provided, and will commit it if it looks good.