Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/19 10:22:44 UTC

[WWW]: shared ideas and looking for feedback

Hi,

yesterday I had problems to find a good place for the German translation
of the graduation press release. And I thought that it is probably a
good idea to cleanup the whole page with a clear and well defined
structure. I know that there is work ongoing and that we move already in
this direction. But nevertheless I would like to share the things I have
in mind to check if it is aligned with the already ongoing work or if it
makes sense at all.

1. a clear structure for the English content as well as the translated
pages.

.../index.hmtl
.../de/index.html
.../it/index.html
.../press/msg_20121019.html
.../de/press/msg_20121019.html
.../it/press/msg_20121019.html

Means we have for all pages a translated version in the related sub
directory. Same path and same name only the content is translated. This
makes it easy to find the related translation for any files.

We can also use Pootle to do the translation of the web content in the
future.

2. we have special news areas where local communities can spread further
news relevant to their local activities, e.g. local conferences, events.
But in general we have the same content on all pages. Other local
community relevant content should be moved in the wiki. The main idea is
to have a smaller but cleaner and well structured and organized user
portal www.openoffice.org. Community internal things should be move on
openoffice.apache.org or the wiki.

I know it is not really new and it is probably more to remind myself but
I am interested to hear others opinion.

Regards

Juergen

Re: [WWW]: shared ideas and looking for feedback

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 19/10/2012 Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> 1. a clear structure for the English content as well as the translated
> pages.
> .../press/msg_20121019.html
> .../de/press/msg_20121019.html
> .../it/press/msg_20121019.html
> Means we have for all pages a translated version in the related sub
> directory. Same path and same name only the content is translated.

This may work for News and announcements, even if often, in that case,
the English announcement is posted on the ASF blog, so outside the
openoffice.org domain.

For the whole structure, this is easy only for NL sites that we will be
rebuilding from scratch, but for other sites we can start to harmonize
paths at least for announcements.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: [WWW]: shared ideas and looking for feedback

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 1:22 AM, Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> yesterday I had problems to find a good place for the German translation
> of the graduation press release. And I thought that it is probably a
> good idea to cleanup the whole page with a clear and well defined
> structure. I know that there is work ongoing and that we move already in
> this direction. But nevertheless I would like to share the things I have
> in mind to check if it is aligned with the already ongoing work or if it
> makes sense at all.
>
> 1. a clear structure for the English content as well as the translated
> pages.
>
> .../index.hmtl
> .../de/index.html
> .../it/index.html
> .../press/msg_20121019.html
> .../de/press/msg_20121019.html
> .../it/press/msg_20121019.html
>
> Means we have for all pages a translated version in the related sub
> directory. Same path and same name only the content is translated. This
> makes it easy to find the related translation for any files.
>
> We can also use Pootle to do the translation of the web content in the
> future.

Definitely good ideas.  A defined structure for all areas would be very
useful. Do we need to start a wiki page to further elaborate, or should we
just go ahead with the press area for now? Opinions?

> 2. we have special news areas where local communities can spread further
> news relevant to their local activities, e.g. local conferences, events.
> But in general we have the same content on all pages. Other local
> community relevant content should be moved in the wiki. The main idea is
> to have a smaller but cleaner and well structured and organized user
> portal www.openoffice.org. Community internal things should be move on
> openoffice.apache.org or the wiki.
>
> I know it is not really new and it is probably more to remind myself but
> I am interested to hear others opinion.
>
> Regards
>
> Juergen

MzK

 dealt  with a cat."
                                                -- Robert Heinlein

Re: [WWW]: shared ideas and looking for feedback

Posted by jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com>.
If pootle used SVN, you would at least have it in SVN automatically :-)

jan.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 10/19/2012 10:26 AM, schrieb jan iversen:
> It would be a good idea to have the same structure and then one directory
> with country special parts...as you say it makes it easier to maintain, and
> with the extra directory nobody is limited.

I support this idea.

When we extent this also for the translated release notes like:

.../rn/release_notea_aoo341.html
.../de//rn/release_notea_aoo341.html
.../it//rn/release_notea_aoo341.html

then we can change the already existing link on the download website,
from the now English only release notes to the language-related notes.

Would be a nice additonal service for our users.

> On 19 October 2012 10:22, Jürgen Schmidt<jo...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> yesterday I had problems to find a good place for the German translation
>> of the graduation press release. And I thought that it is probably a
>> good idea to cleanup the whole page with a clear and well defined
>> structure. I know that there is work ongoing and that we move already in
>> this direction. But nevertheless I would like to share the things I have
>> in mind to check if it is aligned with the already ongoing work or if it
>> makes sense at all.
>>
>> 1. a clear structure for the English content as well as the translated
>> pages.
>>
>> .../index.hmtl
>> .../de/index.html
>> .../it/index.html
>> .../press/msg_20121019.html
>> .../de/press/msg_20121019.html
>> .../it/press/msg_20121019.html
>>
>> Means we have for all pages a translated version in the related sub
>> directory. Same path and same name only the content is translated. This
>> makes it easy to find the related translation for any files.
>>
>> We can also use Pootle to do the translation of the web content in the
>> future.
>>
>> 2. we have special news areas where local communities can spread further
>> news relevant to their local activities, e.g. local conferences, events.
>> But in general we have the same content on all pages. Other local
>> community relevant content should be moved in the wiki. The main idea is
>> to have a smaller but cleaner and well structured and organized user
>> portal www.openoffice.org. Community internal things should be move on
>> openoffice.apache.org or the wiki.
>>
>> I know it is not really new and it is probably more to remind myself but
>> I am interested to hear others opinion.

Simply +1, with the addition from above.

Marcus

Re: [WWW]: shared ideas and looking for feedback

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 10/19/12 10:26 AM, jan iversen wrote:
> It would be a good idea to have the same structure and then one directory
> with country special parts...as you say it makes it easier to maintain, and
> with the extra directory nobody is limited.

And I forgot to mention that I would move all existing content that we
really want preserve in a backup area not directly linked but available.

But new users coming to the page should find a clear page to get
information about the product, the download, documentation and help and
finally and very important how to participate in the project ;-)

Juergen

Posted by jan iversen <ja...@gmail.com>.